Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,657 Posts
In researching this engine, we discovered that few rebuilders are overhauling Northstar V8s - not because these engines are lasting forever (they're not) but because the Northstar V8s are such expensive and complex engines. Cadillac has no reman program for Northstar V8s (if one fails, replace it with a new one). None of the major production engine rebuilders are doing Northstar V8s, and some rebuilders told us certain critical internal parts are unavailable (such as oversize crankshaft bearings). Add to this the fact that the cylinder liners can't be replaced or overbored and it doesn't leave much to rebuild.

Even the heads are throw-aways, according to Cadillac. If the valve guides are worn, Cadillac says the cylinder heads need to be replaced. The heads have hard powder metal valve guides, but we don't see any reason why the guides can't be replaced with new ones or repaired with bronze or cast iron guide liners.

Attachments

· Registered
7,657 Posts
They are forged

· Registered
7,657 Posts
9psi doesnt sound too bad. I have heard that any cadillac engine just doesnt hold up well to forced induction. I dont know, i would assume that it could handle it, thats what ive heard.

I personally wouldnt add a supercharger to an engine that didnt come stock with it. Isnt 300hp enough?

Attachments

· Registered
7,657 Posts
TRUE

· Registered
7,657 Posts
ive heard more than that, more like 10k. Im not sure, you could probably get one for much less from a salvage yard. But i think that cadillac built these engines well enough that rebuilts arent necessary.

· Registered
7,657 Posts
Actually, there cast iron sleeves. They stick them in there, because the aluminum would expand too much.

· Registered
7,657 Posts
Well they are contsantly playing around with it, trying to make it smaller but as powerful if not more. not sure if they are the same or not FOSHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.