Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if any of you have been wondering, I've been in Tucson, AZ, for the past week, primarily to visit friends but also to attend the AACA's Western Region Meet and Grand National Meet. I just joined the AACA, and this was my first opportunity to see what their shows are like. If you don't know, the AACA recognizes all motor vehicles, foreign and domestic, that are at least 25 years old. Thus, their shows have a LOT of potential classes. This really confused me at first when I was registering for the show, but I finally settled on Class 27L (Production Vehicles, 1976-1977).

I drove out to Tucson Monday, and spent the week visiting with my friends. We took a side trip down to Patagonia, a old mining town south and east of Tucson, and generally bummed around doing very little slowly, which is how I prefer my vacations. My friends were kind enough to loan me the use of their third garage, so Rebecca needed very little in the way of cleaning by the day of the show, which was Saturday.

I was a typical March day in southern AZ, which is to say sunny, dry, light wind, and pleasantly warm.

Rebecca awaits the judges' arrival.

I WILL own a Packard one day.

And a LaSalle

----------

Hudsons are so cool!

Pierce Arrows, too.

When was the last time you saw a 1941 Graham Hollywood? They only built 541 of them in 1941 before the company went out of business.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a strange fondness for Oaklands. This is a 1926 model.

80s cars were well represented.

Rebecca was not the only child of the 70s in attendance.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd gladly take either of these 1958 Buicks.

There were other Cadillacs there, too.

I went to the meet mostly just to see what would turn out, and entered Rebecca on a lark. I didn't go to the awards dinner because, a) they're tedious things and, b) my friends had tickets for us to hear the Tucson Chamber Singers perform Rachmaninoff's setting of the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom (which was excellent). Imagine my shock when a couple from the CLC who attended the show emailed me to say Rebecca had won a First Junior award, making her eligible to compete in her next AACA show for a senior award! Kinda cool, really. :)

Off to Vegas next month for the CLC Vegas Region's annual show. Rebecca's looking forward to it.

----------

You can see the rest of the pics here:
http://s197.photobucket.com/user/cmchally/library/AACA%20Tucson%20Meet

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
As always, great pictures, Craig. I also have a fondness for Packards. Choice would be a 1940 120 4 door convertible. The 1955 Packards are neater now than they were in 1955; they just couldn't compete with the Cadilac, Lincoln and Imperial models of '55-'56.

If you've got to take on those hot straight roads of the Arizona desert, nothing in my opinion does them better than a Cadillac!

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
This is a car show I could get behind! I love the fact that such a wide range of production year models and automakers were represented. It is a little odd to see a Monza at the same car show as a Pierce Arrow, but I personally would have really enjoyed the experience! Congratulations on the award, and thank you for sharing the experience with the rest of us. Too bad I'm all the way on the other side of the continent - it makes it relatively unlikely I'll be in attendance any time soon. But at least I've got your pictures. :)

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
What a great time you had, congrats to you and Rebecca!

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,803 Posts
congrats to you and Rebecca. Just an observation of browsing thru the pix, wonder why the convertibles all had their top up?

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
The old Packards had one of the most distinct and beautiful grille and hood designs ever.

Glad Rebecca had such a successful coming out party. (Not that there was ever any doubt!)
Probably felt good for her to be one of the youngsters in the crowd.

Great shot as always Craig, thanks for sharing. I am in your Photobucket account more often than my own!:lol:

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a car show I could get behind! I love the fact that such a wide range of production year models and automakers were represented. It is a little odd to see a Monza at the same car show as a Pierce Arrow, but I personally would have really enjoyed the experience! Congratulations on the award, and thank you for sharing the experience with the rest of us. Too bad I'm all the way on the other side of the continent - it makes it relatively unlikely I'll be in attendance any time soon. But at least I've got your pictures. :)
AACA is a national group, and they have shows all around the country during the year, probably one near you. :) Btw, that Monza was the Olds version, which I think was called Firenze.

congrats to you and Rebecca. Just an observation of browsing thru the pix, wonder why the convertibles all had their top up?
AACA judging rules require that windows and convertible tops be up, and hoods and trunks be open during judging.

I'm glad you all enjoyed the pics. It was a fun week. :D

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So some friends of mine from the CLC were at the awards dinner and grabbed Rebecca's trophy for me. They dropped it by work yesterday, and I thought I'd share it with you all. The oval badge is supposed to go on the car. I need to weld a nut or something on the back so I can mount it on the grille.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
That's really great! I'm happy it was such a great experience! Your post inspired me to check out the organization, and I hope I'll be able to attend a near-by event one day. I know from the picture on my region's home page that some of their members have been in the local car show right here in my home town, so I'm going to look them up next time. I think one is coming up in... May? Anyways, thanks for the info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts