Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear wiper starts then stops at perhaps a 20% sweep, continues and stops at 50%, sits then continues and stops full at the far end. Eventually it will come sweep back after making more random stops. The wiper arm looks to be secure on the motor. What is this likely caused by? Is the wiper motor going out or could it be something else? This started happening after a dramatic warm up from 0F to 50F in a few days.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Sounds like bad electrical connections. If you want some fun, open up the motor/switch assembly and examine the sweep/park switch. Then you'll know why it isn't working properly. :devil:

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Glake. I will be happy if it isn't the motor. Though taking apart the tail gate is always fun...

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: everything is back to normal after pressing the rear window washer button. I am now wondering if it was causing an issue and maybe did not release fully. In any case, I have tried the wiper multiple times and also for at least 20 consecutive wipes and no problem!

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
I have had a few gremlins pop up here and there that magically and quickly disappeared, then could not be replicated.

The last one.......I turned off the vehicle, locked it up and alarmed it using the remote fob. When I came back later and approached the SRX I could hear the radio. The XM satellite radio was still on, and it stayed on when I opened the passenger door. Started up the car. Then turned it off and exited the vehicle, the XM shut down as it should. No repeats. :cookoo:

PJ

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wiper will work for a while then stop and not return to park until the car is turned off completely. If I use the washer, I lose control of the wiper function altogether. Is there any chance this is NOT the wiper motor?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Always a chance- could be the switch.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: all problems solved by replacing rear wiper motor. I bought a 2007 at a wreck yard and it took about an hour to install, as I took my times. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried that as well, but didn't help. I think the circuitry in mine was the problem.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
There's 1 screw in the hand hold then it just pops off.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just removed and disconnected the wires. The ones to the rear hatch button detach using a connector in the wire, while the ones for the light can be pulled off the metal contacts on the light itself. Once you have done that, the panel can be removed completely and set aside.

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6 AWD; 2000 Eldorado ETC
83 Posts
Had a similar problem - regardless of switch position (off, fast, or intermittent), the rear wiper constantly ran in intermittent mode (wash button did work). Fixed problem by removing the "tailgate trim panel" to gain access to the wiper motor. Removed the electrical connector and reinserted it multiple times to ensure a stable connection - then applied a very thin film of dielectric grease where the connectors met to form a seal. Wiper then worked fine.

Not sure exactly why the problem was fixed - maybe a bit of corrosion in the electrical connector was "scraped off", or the connector was not seated properly. Also I noticed that the hose for the washer was near the electrical connector so I ensured that it has a tight seal so it did not spray small amounts of washer fluid into the assembly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts