Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2k1 STS
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my '01 STS to work today. Got a little snow last night, so I had the rear defroster on. About 5 minutes into my journey, I hear a loud pop. I couldn't figure out what it was. I thought it might of been the back windshield since it looked cracked, but figured it was just ice that slid from my roof covering the windshield. I was wrong. Oh, how I was wrong. When I got to work, I looked at the rear windshield and it is barely held together. The entire thing is shattered in a million pieces. I called Cadillac dealer and they said this thing is not under warranty, nor could I get a rental car while it was in the shop unless I wanted to pay for that too. Nor did they know how long it would take to fix. Up to a week they say. Not a good day so far. I think I am going to take it to a local shop, covered by my insurance for a $500 deductible. Crazy shit. [/vent]:rant2:

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
Yes, this is one of the things you skip the dealer for and get just as good or better service. It's just a piece of glass. It will cost soooooo much less. You can call around and get estimates. Each shop will be able to look up the model of your car and give you an estimate on the spot. These things don't take long to replace. You can drop it off in the AM and pick it up in the PM.

Oftentimes, they can come to where your car is as many of them have vans that have all the tools they need.

Just make sure that they hook up the defroster elements and antennas correctly.

·
Registered
2k1 STS
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, the place I talked to (Banner Glass in Rockville, MD) said it would be about $1500 to replace. I talked to insurance and they will cover. Takes about 3 hours to swap it out they said and they won't get the glass until about 11AM tomorrow.

Oh well, at least I get a day off work tomorrow.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
notoriouslyKEN said:
... it would be about $1500 to replace.....
HOLY SMOKES!!!!! $1500?!?!??!! That's five times more than the windshield!!!

The fact that insurance will cover it tells me that this is the normal price for that.

Man.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm trying to think of a fairly recent vehicle (last 20 years) that does NOT have heating elements in the glass - not sure why it'd cost $1500 bucks to get a new rear window unless it's a) a real pain to replace b) your vehicle isn't common in salvage yards (where a lot of the replacement glass comes from) c) it's real common for the rear windows to break (demand driving the price up on a limited supply) or d) the glass company knows that they're just raping an insurance company so they charge the max the IC will cover ....

I will generally go for quotes (glass, body work) under the premise that I'm going to pay for it - then get the insurance company involved AFTER I've got the quote - you'd be astonished at the price differential that - on occasion - is revealed when you do that....

Best of luck - hopefully for $1500 bucks they'll do a darned good job!

Steve

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
notoriouslyKEN said:
yea, the place I talked to (Banner Glass in Rockville, MD) said it would be about $1500 to replace. I talked to insurance and they will cover. Takes about 3 hours to swap it out they said and they won't get the glass until about 11AM tomorrow.

What dealership did you call?

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
notoriouslyKEN said:

Several of the local ones don't play well with their customers. I've found James at Lindsay to be great, however, its likely that there's not much he can do for you on this one though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Maybe it's so expensive because part of the radio antenna is embedded in the rear window. When mr SRX got hit, the right rear quarter window was $900 just for the part. That window had the AM antenna in it.

·
Registered
2k1 STS
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GOTTSPD said:
What dealership did you call?
Jim Coleman Cadillac by Montgomery Mall.

I should of called Capitol Cadillac, where I bought the car...but oh well. The window is fixed now.

Price Breakdown from Banner Glass:

1 - Back (Heated w/ Cell Phone Antenna, w/ Diversity Antenna - $1528 - 46% Discount (?? Guessing Insurance) - $825.12

2 - Labor Auto - 2.7 hours - $121

3 - Adhesive (2.0, Urethane, Dam, Primer) - $30

Total - $1018.88

1 - 11 of 11 Posts