Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 CTS with a regular rear veiw mirror. I was wondering if I change it out with a mirror that had the built in compass option. Can I just swap them out or do other things need to be done.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
You see them from time to time on eBay. The wiring harness should include the wires you need. I think the mirror gives you auto dimming for bright lights behind you. OnStar should be there on the mirror as well.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
I have a 2007 CTS with a regular rear veiw mirror. I was wondering if I change it out with a mirror that had the built in compass option. Can I just swap them out or do other things need to be done.

Thanks for the help.
And :welcome5: to the forum!

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the replies. I had contacted the dealer and they could not give me a straight answer. They went as far as to say that the computer might have to be reprogrammed. I will give it a shot, thanks

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I appreciate the replies. I had contacted the dealer and they could not give me a straight answer. They went as far as to say that the computer might have to be reprogrammed. I will give it a shot, thanks
Forget the dealer. He's blowing smoke. You will have to orient the compass when you get it. Instructions should be in the manual. Easy DIY:thumbsup:

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Yeah, the dealer typically won't give a straight answer to a question like that - or may not know the answer. Then again, they may be thinking that you might order a new unt from them - big bucks.

You should be able to pick one up for $50 or less - think I paid $35. The bus will pick up the additional input from compass without skipping a beat. It's a real no-brainer.

And...as RT said, welcome to the forum!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just my luck the only 2007 rear view mirror w/compass I have seen was just sold on e-bay. Can I use another model years (ie 2005) mirror? Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
To my knowledge, they're all the same. The mirror I installed was from a '06 - my car is a '03. If your parts dept will talk to you, they should be able to verify.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Pep Boys sell a compass (3" in diameter) for just a few bucks. With any luck, they might also have some fuzzy dice available.

·
Registered
CTS
24 Posts
I purchased a replacement mirror with a compass for my daughter's 2005 CTS. I believe starting with the 2005 model, there is a different display at the bottom of the mirror concerning the passenger air bag status. You would want this same display so look for that on the mirror. It was an easy change along with changing the visors to include Homelink.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS - 2005
93 Posts
According to my 2005 Vehicle Build data sheet, option UAV - "DVD Navigation System incl: XM satellite radio - . . . (description of XM) . . . (deletes compass in mirror)". There must be some reason for deleting the compass.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
According to my 2005 Vehicle Build data sheet, option UAV - "DVD Navigation System incl: XM satellite radio - . . . (description of XM) . . . (deletes compass in mirror)". There must be some reason for deleting the compass.
The compass in the mirror is deleted because the NAV tells you which direction you're going. It's the same in my STS.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was finally able to locate the right mirror on e-bay.. It took longer to clean the sellers ID number placed on it then it did to install it... Dealer price $350+. my cost $49.95. Thanks for everyones help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts