Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not as bad of a job as i thought it would be , i didnt have to remove much to get the cover out , i pulled the egr soleniod, 2 vaccum lines,cruise controll module , and the wire harness contectors to the a/c line and blower motor , after laying the harnessd back and detaching the sparkplug wire holders (and thats litteraly it) i got the cover out and placed in the new gaskets , the inserts are a pain in the arse , there trinagular in shape and fit into the cylander heads then the gasket lays over them , its shuch a awful design that i used one whole tube of rtv to make sure those areas would seal up

its around a 4-5 hour job , probably 3 if one didnt smoke and didnt have to run to the parts store for more supplies ...or if they didnt eat lunch

tonight im gonna try "getto fixing" the side pan gasket will be packing it full of rtv too since i dont know what the big ass frame thing is that is wrapped around the tranny thats in the way of the pan coming off the rest of the way

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Well, I guess it is possible...... So it was an easy job I guess...

How did the covers look? Did you clean it out really good??

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup sanitized the cover and the head , wasnt nothing on there when i was done , then coated the hell out of everything with gasket sealant to make sure it seated and seald properly

the cover looked ok , pretty straight when i went over it with the stright edge ,no nicks or anything

only problem i saw is that the covers have little groves cut in them for the tabs on the gasket to fit into the gasket has its tabs ont he wrong side , i checked boath gaskets but i had the right one , but maybe it was for a allante as i had a funny intake manifold gasket leftover , gasket appers to be for a intake minfold with 8 individual runners , maybe the allante had a 4.5 or 4.9 with a speical intake manifold?

think i fixed the tranny leak , it was leaking between the side pan and tranny , so i coated it with rtv ........

sounds bad but it beats trying to get the tube frame that goes around the tranny and tranny mounts out to get the pan off (what the hell is that thing )

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
What did you use to clean the heads.... Im gonna be doing the valve covers on mine soon, and Id like some input....

Also, did you change the oil afterwards?

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i put some brake cleaner on a rag and wiped the head down

i sprayed the covers down directly and started off with newspaper and worked down to useign a rag

as for a oil change......i probably should have but i made sure nothing went into the valvetrain so it will be ok since i didnt spray the head nothing got into the oil , its nearing a change anyway so int he next 2 weeks ill do that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts