Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I just purchased a new set of trunk support cylinders for my 03 cts. I was basically tired of my trunk slamming down hard due to the fact that the old support cylinders were worn out. I would like for my trunk to close like it did when it was new. Therefore, i got a new set of support cylinders from Cadillac. My question is.....Has anyone replaced their original trunk support cylinders with a new set? Also, how do the old ones come off? Do they just pop off with the use of a hammer ,or must something be unscrewed.
Thanks........

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
GM just replaced mine. I can see marks from ratchets on the hinges. Looks like they loosened the hinges to get the new struts on or off.

New ones allow for raising the trunk with 2 fingers. Trunk lid no longer falls accidentally. Struts were replaced under warranty on 04.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the follow up guys,
I took the support clyinders off and was attempting to install th new ones and realized that the new support cylinders were too long. I think these are newly designed support cylinders because the gm part number is different than my original support cylinder. I am also assuming that there is a new style of hinges for them too. Therefore, back to Cadillac parts department I go.....
Once again, Thanks for the information

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Thanks for the follow up guys,
I took the support clyinders off and was attempting to install th new ones and realized that the new support cylinders were too long. I think these are newly designed support cylinders because the gm part number is different than my original support cylinder. I am also assuming that there is a new style of hinges for them too. Therefore, back to Cadillac parts department I go.....
Once again, Thanks for the information
Like I said...if you don't have the new hinges...muscle is required!!:)

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just go to your local Cadillac dealer and inform them that your Trunk support cylinders are worn out and it's becoming a safty hazard. If you are still under Warrantee, they will switch them out without any issues. BUt if your are like me (not under warantee) then you will have to pay for everything yourself.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Pretend you are a salesman at a stealership. You will immediately think of several ways to embellish the claim for new struts!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts