Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Escalade
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 runs 22's in the summer and 17's on steel rims in the winter. With the 17's on the truck seems to sit almost level. I'm sure it sat a little higher in the rear with the 22's...maybe not. I know the front struts are electric(just had them replaced). I was wondering if the rear shocks are the same or have a compressor....???

·
Registered
'07 Escalade
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the compressor located and can you hear it when it runs? I'm curious to know if it's working, because I've been noticing a few yukons and tahoes and escalades that sit higher in the rear than my escalade. If the compressor is toast will I get a message on my DIC?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
yes if it stops you should get a message on the DIC, the compressor is on the drivers side rear, if you climb under the truck it's pretty easy to spot. Most GM trucks sit higher in the rear, every GM truck I have owned has been like this, on some I have put lowering kits on the rear to get them more level

·
Registered
'07 Escalade
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't recall ever seeing a message regarding suspension on my DIC. Is there a way I can check to see if the compressor is working?

·
Registered
2007 EXT
504 Posts
On my truck the rear shocks were leaking which caused the compressor to run constantly. I had a failed pump and never had a message on the DIC. To check turn on truck and stand on tailgate. You should hear the pump kick in to level truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896

·
Registered
'07 Escalade
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my truck the rear shocks were leaking which caused the compressor to run constantly. I had a failed pump and never had a message on the DIC. To check turn on truck and stand on tailgate. You should hear the pump kick in to level truck.

Thanks, I'll give that a try today. As for the leaking, do you mean oil or air? I looked underneath the truck yesterday and didn't see any signs of oil leaks. Is there anything specific in regards to air leaking I should look for?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
458 Posts
Did you replace the shocks with OEM or after market parts, and if so which ones did you use ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I located the compressor, it's packed all around with ice and snow, not sure if it's working or not. Would this have any ill affect on it? Going to put it in the garage tonight and let the ice and snow melt away!....and then maybe I'll be able to hear it!

·
Registered
'07 Escalade
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check fuses also in your owner man.

I will try that as well, thanks....but I think my compressor is toast. I was underneath in the pit and I pulled down (sort of like a chin up) on the control arms until the shocks compressed (about a 3/4 inch)and had my son turn on the key, I heard a click but the shocks didn't seem to extend. I had all my 220lbs of weight on the shocks and no difference, they didn't move, atleast from what I could see. I'm not sure how long it takes to raise the shocks, I was only hanging for a few seconds. But I definately didn't hear what I think a compressor should sound like. Besides the fuses is there anything else I can check?

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
the compressor should do a self test when the vehicle is turned on... it should run for just a few seconds to pump up the shocks then exhaust to let out air and level out again

it should happen in the first minute that the vehicle is turned on

·
Registered
2007 EXT
504 Posts
Sounds like its toast to me. Like I said before I never had a message on my Dic either.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do I know if the shocks or lines were leaking? I was looking at Arnott's compressors, they go for a pretty reasonable price. Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't come with the dryer, just the kit. Can the dryer be salvaged?

·
Registered
'07 Escalade
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the compressor should do a self test when the vehicle is turned on... it should run for just a few seconds to pump up the shocks then exhaust to let out air and level out again

it should happen in the first minute that the vehicle is turned on
Is there a way to manually fill the shocks with air to check for leaks?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
As was said before, the compressor will typically run for a few moments when the truck is first started. It is an unmistakable loud buzzing type sound that you can hear easily if you go to the back of the truck in a quiet area right after you turn to the key to the RUN position without starting (easier to hear if the truck isn't running).

·
Registered
'07 Escalade
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I understand that, what I'm trying to do is determine if my shocks have been leaking and was wondering if I can put air in them without the compressor.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
if they leak then the compressor will run at times when you have not loaded the truck down... it should only turn on once when you start the car (self test) and then again ONLY if there is weight added to the car... if it is running at any other time then there is a leak somewhere

you can use a soapy water solution in a spray bottle to find the leak (similar to finding a leak in a tire/rim) ... the leaky area will have lots of bubbles

1 - 20 of 31 Posts