Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 eldorado NON touring
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
rear suspension help!!!
Ok I was told during inspection I needed new rear shocks. I plan on using the Gabriel highjackers part number 49254 - but before I order those I want to find out something else. My ride height is sporadic. One day she will ride at max height (pump all the way up and compressor stopped it holds the height so shocks aren't leaking). Then I will park it somewhere when I come back it will be as low as it can go and when I put key in and start sometime it will pump up to correct ride height and sometimes nothing!! it will stay at lowest ride height. So I am wondering if its the leveling relay going out, the level control switch (which I looked at with all links attached correctly with no damage) or something I haven't thought of yet with the compressor. Just to say it, The compressor works it will pump up the car and stop pumping like it is supposed to. It just is sporadic in that sometimes she rides high and sometimes low. I don't understand what to change. PLEASE any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,148 Posts
It sounds like an intermittent connection either at the compressor or in the sensor/switch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I double posted this because I didn't title is... sorry
rear suspension help!!!
Ok I was told during inspection I needed new rear shocks. I plan on using the Gabriel highjackers part number 49254 - but before I order those I want to find out something else. My ride height is sporadic. One day she will ride at max height (pump all the way up and compressor stopped it holds the height so shocks aren't leaking). Then I will park it somewhere when I come back it will be as low as it can go and when I put key in and start sometime it will pump up to correct ride height and sometimes nothing!! it will stay at lowest ride height. So I am wondering if its the leveling relay going out, the level control switch (which I looked at with all links attached correctly with no damage) or something I haven't thought of yet with the compressor. Just to say it, The compressor works it will pump up the car and stop pumping like it is supposed to. It just is sporadic in that sometimes she rides high and sometimes low. I don't understand what to change. PLEASE any help would be great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like an intermittent connection either at the compressor or in the sensor/switch.
is the sensor switch something I can take apart to check out. I am that kinda person - Like with the egr valve they wanted me to get a new one - I pulled mine and cleaned it real good with mass air flow cleaner till the pintle was smooth and didn't stick, worked like a charm.
for me money is tight

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,148 Posts
A man after my own heart.

I'm not sure. I've never inspected it that closely. Like you, I would give it a try and see. Maybe you can open it up and see id the contacts need cleaning. Also check the connectors on the compressor plug.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like a plan. I figure they told me new shocks because it was a low ride height day instead of a high one. I will change them either way I figure they are 130k in so it probably won't be long before they go out. But the fact they can hold pressure lets me know something else was up. I will take your advice and check all my connections the pull the switch and do a little investigating to see if I can spot something amiss.
Thanks Ranger!!

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Are you getting a DTC code for this leveling system problem?

If the air shocks fail maintaining level & are not leaking, it may be premature to assume the air shocks are faulty. The wheel position sensors process the signal to the BCM & turn the compressor on-off-& bleed off air if the body is too high.

This is the RR wheel position sensor hanging on the front side of the air shock tower, they are at every wheel but the rear sensors are tied into the ELC (electronic level control) Make sure the link is not broken.
I don't think you want to pull them apart due to the cost of them & if they are good you run the risk of messing up the CVRSS function.

I would think there is a better chance of the compressor valve messing up. It could be as simple as a bad ground wire or other connection.

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
Johnny's right about the sensor, except the '98 non-touring Eldorado there is just one rear level sensor that controls the system. It's on the left rear attached to the lower control arm (actually mounted in front of the suspension). I would definitely check that first, it doesn't sound like your shocks are the problem. It's either going to be that control module, or else your suspension compressor exhaust valve is sticking.

Although, I do think you have a leak of some kind, because you mentioned you return to find the rear end sitting at the bottom. There will be no level adjustment when the car is off, so only an air leak will cause that. But definitely find out why it's jacking it to the top first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Johnny's right about the sensor, except the '98 non-touring Eldorado there is just one rear level sensor that controls the system. It's on the left rear attached to the lower control arm (actually mounted in front of the suspension). I would definitely check that first, it doesn't sound like your shocks are the problem. It's either going to be that control module, or else your suspension compressor exhaust valve is sticking.

Although, I do think you have a leak of some kind, because you mentioned you return to find the rear end sitting at the bottom. There will be no level adjustment when the car is off, so only an air leak will cause that. But definitely find out why it's jacking it to the top first.
Thanks, I turned the key forward today and let it pump up then left it for awhile and it was down all the way. I do know that this does not always happen. So maybe the bleeder valve is sticking. I will be taking it apart this weekend. i will post back with pictures of my adventures in ride level control.

Thanks for the advice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts