Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much are these rear shocks, and has anyone tried them, if so, did they help with the hop. This was posted in the faq...... Go here; http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html ,then chose "Suspension/Steering", then choose "Wheel Hop" from the list on the right..

>Still not happy so I called a Friend that makes Shock Dyno's and asked him to dyno the factory rear shock. We seen the problem immediatley! The Factory rear shock had 190+lb of lift and almost 0 rebound ( Factory Corvette has almost 400lb rebound )

>We made a new rear shock for the V that will replace and work with the factory suspension and cure the hop problem! For the people that would like the Coil-Over suspension we can put the new shock with that suspension and cure the problem or for the people who would like the stock keep there stock suspension we will have a replacement rear shock. I should have parts to sell in a week. E-Mail or Call me. Cell 602-369-3084 or [email protected] or
[email protected] Thanks for your inquiries and sorry about the tease!

Sounds good..... has anyone tried them?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
>It's a hoax. I tried contacting them a year ago and they ignored me. >There's no such fix.

Thought it might be too good to be true... maybe it should be removed from the faq..... If that is the case. I am going to do the spectra bushings this weekend, and thought about replacing the rear shocks since the wheels would be off.

The "V" is in need of a performance rear shock!!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
There is some truth in this. The low rebound in the V shock is definetly part of the problem. Unfortunately, no one wants to bother making a shock for this car, probably because there are so few of them.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish BMR, LINGENFELTER, STEALTHV, or SPECTER would offer one. Theirs definantly some $$$$$$$$ to be made.... Even if it was just an exchange/re-tune of the stock one.. This would not be a inventory burden...... just a labor one..... if it could be done.... just a thought. :)

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
new Ground Control set up coming out in the VERY near future. May help with the WH and will lower the car nicely. The hop is a function of quite a few things such as tire 'stickiness', cradle setup, shock rebound and frankly, gobs of HP trying to get to the pavement.

F

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Do folks who've done the WW mod to their nivomats show any reduction in wheel hop? I'm curious, because the V shocks seem very stiff, IMHO, especially the FG2's. I'm wondering if having a soft 1" rubber isolator on the top of the shock is the problem. It seems to me that it could be the weak link with regards to movement. I've got FE4's with the WW mod and Eibachs on my regular CTS. I can easily spin the rears through first gear and part way through second with my tiny V6 and I never see wheel hop. Maybe I'm not running sticky enough tires (have 245/45R18 Bridgestone Revo 050's) or not spinning them fast enough to get hop.

From an engineering standpoint, wheel hop is caused by unwanted vertical (~2Hz to ~5 Hz) movement in the suspension during acceleration which in turn causes intermittant tire traction. I imagine that this is likely caused by either sidewall flex, or by soft (rubber) suspension components. I'm not entirely convinced that it's solely due to shock valving (not that my opinion really matters since I don't have the HP to make it a problem).

·
Registered
523 Posts
but I believe the same thing.
With the new coilover system and a pair of qa1 adjustable shocks we should be able to lessen the problem. Now if we add the kars kit to that I hope the problem is 90% fixed.
Hopefully by feb 06 i'll have those two things on the V

·
Registered
75 Posts
They arent a hoax, they are just prohibitively expensive since they have to be one off custom made on a case by case basis. We have had 2 sets made, one for the bonneville car and one for a test CTS-V. The price we had to pay to get them made and then having to mark them up to at least make SOME profit, not a single person in 2 some odd years have even nibbled.

They, like so many other custom pieces made over time, had been discontinued before they even got a chance to reach the mainstream market.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts