Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
93 and 02 Eldorado
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recomend any aftermarket passive rear shocks for a 93 ETC? I bought a set of Monroe #71801 shocks but I believe that they are for the leaf spring rear suspension. Part numbers would be greatly appreciated.
RJ

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
That's the correct part # on Rockauto, as well as Monroe's site. Why do you think they're not the right ones?

·
Registered
93 and 02 Eldorado
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I need to jack the car up and check, but I believe that the original shocks have an eye and thru bolt lower mount and the shocks that I bought use the pinch bolt and cup mount. Will repost later. Thank You,
RJ

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts
Can anyone recomend any aftermarket passive rear shocks for a 93 ETC? I bought a set of Monroe #71801 shocks but I believe that they are for the leaf spring rear suspension. Part numbers would be greatly appreciated.
RJ
---------------------
like MC said - that IS the correct part number -

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/e-Catalog

the other applications for this part number include
86-93 Buick Riviera -
86-93 Cadillac Eldorado -
86-93 Cadillac Seville -
86-92 Olds Toronado -

what doesn't seem to fit?

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
RJ
The 4th gen Eldo/Seville, and 7th+ gen Deville are all based on the K platform, which is almost identical to the 1986 E platform that the '86-'91 Eldo/Seville and their Buick/Olds cousins used (and this platform was loosely based on the original 1980 FWD K-platform) - the K is esentially just a renamed E. That said, don't be surprised to find various chassis and suspension components that interchange across the body styles.

The platform is ancient - the 1986 version was used until 1997, when it received some minor updates, which carried the Deville through until it's death in 2011. It has been used across a few generations of various makes and models.

·
Registered
93 and 02 Eldorado
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Havent checked it out yet. I may be jumping the gun by saying that they are incorrect,I hope not. Have some household chores{clean rain gutters} to do before I work on cars. Thanks for the replys fellas, I will repost with outcome, hopefully good.

·
19,250 Posts
Not Good. Shocks are incorrect for this car. The search goes on!
RJ
--------------------------
so - what part of the shocks are incorrect for the car?

·
Registered
93 and 02 Eldorado
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lower mounting for original shocks have rubber bushed eye which connects to lower suspension arm with a single thru bolt. Replacement shocks have no lower attachment point only smooth bottom shock body and brackets for sway bar connection. May have to bite the bullet and buy the Arnott kit, Tired of the rear end dragging!

·
19,250 Posts
Lower mounting for original shocks have rubber bushed eye which connects to lower suspension arm with a single thru bolt. Replacement shocks have no lower attachment point only smooth bottom shock body and brackets for sway bar connection. May have to bite the bullet and buy the Arnott kit, Tired of the rear end dragging!
------------------------
that is really bizarre - but I found the correct Monroe shock for you -

you need the Monroe 40046 -

$99.60 each - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047D9TS0/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

·
Registered
93 and 02 Eldorado
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought so too! Thank You for the help basscatt, I will probably order shocks tonight.

·
19,250 Posts
basscatt, I was wondering where you were able to find that part number? Thank You,
RJ
-------------------
I'm not sure I understand your question -

if you are asking how I discovered that the 40046
was the correct part number -

I immediately recognized the lower mount from your description -
then was able to verify through some cross-referencing -

and the last verification was on the Amazon site -
http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-40046-Rear-Shock-Absorber/dp/B0047D9TS0/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=Eldorado|408&Year=1993|1993&carId=002&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

·
Registered
93 and 02 Eldorado
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks basscatt, I am going crazy trying to get the correct shocks. 71801 are not right, like I said before,they appear to be for a leaf spring car. I called my local parts supplier at work and they said 40046 fit 94 on up. He even called Monroe tech to verify. I think there may be a discrepency with Monroes data. What I will do is check the wifes 02 ESC and if they look the same will order 40046! Thank you for your help and doing the research.
RJ

·
19,250 Posts
Thanks basscatt, I am going crazy trying to get the correct shocks. 71801 are not right, like I said before,they appear to be for a leaf spring car. I called my local parts supplier at work and they said 40046 fit 94 on up. He even called Monroe tech to verify. I think there may be a discrepency with Monroes data. What I will do is check the wifes 02 ESC and if they look the same will order 40046! Thank you for your help and doing the research.
RJ
---------------------
I am going crazy trying to get the correct shocks.
71801 are not right

CORRECT - it is the correct for 86 to 93 Eldo - and a bunch of other GM's -
but see below -

I called my local parts supplier at work
and they said 40046 fit 94 on up.
He even called Monroe tech to verify.
I think there may be a discrepency with Monroes data.

there is a mistake in the catalog/fitment guide -

everyone that sells Monroe uses the same WRONG book -
so everyone you talk to will give you the same - WRONG - answer -
just like MoistCabbage and I did - because we used the same guide -

like I said - when you described the lower mount -
I immediately recognized the correct part number -
because it is probably the second most common shock
used on the rear of front wheel drive GM cars -
only the Monroe MA822 is more popular -
--------------------

I am absolutely - 100% POSITIVE -
the 40046 IS the correct rear shock for your car -

93 Eldo - with FE1 - SOFT-RIDE SUSPENSION -

94 to 02 Eldo - the chassis never got updated due to scheduled extinction -

94 to 99 Deville -
2000+ Devilles went to the MA822 -

94 to 97 Seville -
98 to 04 Sevilles also went to the MA822

check out these links -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/compatibility-chart/B000S2SA2U/ref=au_pf_dp_chart?ie=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=Eldorado|408&Year=1993|1993&carId=002

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/compatibility-chart/B0012PQBKU/ref=au_pf_dp_chart?ie=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=Eldorado|408&Year=1993|1993&carId=002

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
NO, actually the OP is correct, the suspension in the earlier cars is VERY different.
In fact the body is different, the whole rear floor pan of the car is changed in '95. There are some minor body dimensions differences too (width, yes for real!).
The cars just look the same on the outside, but are so not.
'96 and '97 cars are closer (especially electrically) to the '98 and up Seville than the earlier years of the same body style.
Looks are very deceiving.

·
Registered
93 and 02 Eldorado
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New fly in the ointment. Sticker says FE3 suspension, firm and I believe it just ask my back! I will go with basscatt's recomendation for the shocks.
Thanks Guys,
RJ

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
FE3 refers to SPRINGS.
F45 is for the shocks & struts, you either have it or not.

·
19,250 Posts
New fly in the ointment. Sticker says FE3 suspension, firm and I believe it just ask my back! I will go with basscatt's recomendation for the shocks.
Thanks Guys,
RJ
-------------------
WOW - that is one mighty strange car -
some left over 93 stuff mixed with some 94 stuff -

those 40046 units should be just fine -

1 - 20 of 40 Posts