Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't drive this car a whole lot as I have other vehicles, but my wife drives it most every day. Noticed the last few times I jumped on the gas I got a rumble that lasted only a few seconds when I was accelerating moderately hard. Seemed to come from the back, but not sure. Could be related to shifting, but again, not sure. May do it mainly when turning. There is a two lane highway near my house where people coming into town from the farmlands to the south frequently are moving at 60-70 mph so naturally I want to get up to speed quickly when I turn onto it. Just curious what this could be and if I should be worried? Car is under the Cadillac top tier extended warranty so I would hope it would be covered. I'd just like to have some idea what is going on before I take it in.

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
328 Posts
I think the rear may want a fluid change? IIRC you may need the limited slip additive so be sure to go to a dealer for the right stuff. it could be the bearings or tires? you could swap the tires front/back and see if you notice a difference - be sure they are not over inflated, hell it could even be a CV joint or a driveshaft joint / bearing

Its not a metallic one like a loose heat shield on the exhaust right?

steve

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not metallic. It sounds exactly like when you hit one of those rumble strips on the shoulder of the interstate. That is why the first couple times thought maybe just hit a rough spot of pavement. Pretty sure now the car is making the sound. Next time I drive it will try to be more observant. I have the maint records since it was new and don't see anything about the rear end being serviced. At 66k I suppose should go ahead and do it. Within the capabilities of your average shadetree mechanic/parts changer?

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guesses would be gladly accepted. I've read a lot of posts about our cars making funny noises, but not been able to search up anything helpful. I'll be driving it later today and will try to be more observant.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so I blew around a pickup pulling a backhoe yesterday. Jump on the gas, 30 mph. Short rumble, maybe when shifting......not sure. Have a hard time telling what gear this thing is in. Later on a deserted road I tried the same thing, going 45. No rumble. Any comments or advice? It's not a major issue, but don't want it to turn into one.

Nearly new tires BTW, so don't think it's a tire issue. I'm thinking drivetrain or tranny.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
732 Posts
Had that happen on a '95 Eldorado, it was the exhaust bumping against the floor on a hard acceleration, about in the middle of the car.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like that suggestion, but can't imagine what would cause that. Although now that I think about it a few weeks ago I ran over a raccoon.....hm. Seemed like a light hit, but guess could have tweaked something. I assume this thing has heat shields that are made of light gauge sheet metal?

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
732 Posts
Heat shields don't cover the whole exhaust system. I suggested it because a transverse mounted engine will torque and raise the exhaust system under acceleration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts