Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'09 Sedan Black Raven M6; '14 Sedan Phantom Gray A6 Graphite
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick two questions about ride height. Besides springs, what are the usually suspects and culprits that causes the ride height at the rear to be different from side to side? Can something other than rear wheel alignment have the effect of making the right rear sit almost 2 CM lower than the left side? I'm measuring the space between the center (apex) of the rear fender wheel opening and the top of the tire, as well as from the fender to the top of the rear wheel,... both measurements showing about the same 2 CM difference.

I have a very noticeable lean to the right while driving and wanted to confirm the sensation, hence my laymen's approach to measuring things. Suspension is totally stock,... just like I bought it. In fact the whole car is stock in every way save the Airade CAI installed. Oh yeah,... the car has had four (4) 4-wheel alignments since taking delivery back in November of last year and the sensation of leaning persists. And no,... road crown is not playing tricks on my senses!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
If a shock is going bad it may cause that wheel to ride a little lower because it's relying on the spring more than the other side is. Lots of rear shock stories here...including mine about two years ago. It's a remote possibility but it could.

·
Registered
'09 Sedan Black Raven M6; '14 Sedan Phantom Gray A6 Graphite
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what,... I had shocks in the back of my mind but wasn't sure it made any sense. Thanks for helping it make some sense,... I'll ask that they be inspected when I finally take it in. So far the only thing that has been looked at has been 4 wheel alignments. But shocks would explain the spongy ride on at the right rear. Thanks Trapspeed!

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,047 Posts
I'm guessing that the dealership won't be inclined to fix/replace anything, as the ride height specs probably more than cover a 2cm difference. (I say that without having seen the '14 FSM, but with other cars I've been quite surprised at how much range there is in the ride height specs.)

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Rear ride height is controlled by the self-levelng Nivomat shock absorbers. Either the shock is damaged or someone has messed with the shock mount bushing stack.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
Rear ride height is controlled by the self-levelng Nivomat shock absorbers. Either the shock is damaged or someone has messed with the shock mount bushing stack.
The first generation CTS-V (04-07) used the Nivomat shocks.
Second generation are using magnetorheological shocks.
A whole different animal

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Exactly. Our springs are the only thing that control the height. I cut 1/4 off one side, and a half off the other to lower the rear AND get it exactly equal. It has worked great for years, and looks sweet.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
ericpd said:
You know what,... I had shocks in the back of my mind but wasn't sure it made any sense. Thanks for helping it make some sense,... I'll ask that they be inspected when I finally take it in. So far the only thing that has been looked at has been 4 wheel alignments. But shocks would explain the spongy ride on at the right rear. Thanks Trapspeed!
No problem. Don't be surprised to find out the rear shocks leaking oil.

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
Mine seem spongy in the back. The right rear looks a little lower than the left, probably should check for leaking.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,184 Posts
Mine seem spongy in the back. The right rear looks a little lower than the left, probably should check for leaking.
Love your avatar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts