Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just out of the blue... The window stopped working. It will go down but not up. Took the door apart, hotwired the motor - works fine. Swapped the switch with the one from the other door - same thing, down but not up.
Is there a relay that I could suspect? Any ideas?

'91 Fleetwood/fwd

Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 SLS
292 Posts
On 89 window switch circuit goes through driver switch and driver switch circuit goes through window switch. Sounds like problem is in driver switch. Does driver switch work window?

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
You can try changing the drivers switch since it's easy but a lot of the time problems like that are because one of the wires for it breaks between the door and the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eric, the driver switch (main one) works the window the same as the one on the door. Down but not up. I would think that Brougham is right: It's most probably a brake in the wire. It was working fine. I was vacuuming the car, did the rear and after I opened/closed that door, all of a sudden would not work anymore. It is still possible that this is the only time I operated the rear left passenger window since I got the car but I doubt that.
So there is no relay huh?
Oh well, I think I will simply disconnect the window for now and put the door panel back on. If you have anymore ideas please let me know.
Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
A break in the wire sounds good. Mine does the exact same thing. Rear passenger door will go down but not up. I never took the panel off but got the window to go back up after playing with it for awile. I noticed that it only goes back up after the door has been opened. This has happened a few times. I also have a new driver main switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts