Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2002 deville and I have noticed a motor like sound comming from the back of the car when I am stopped. I am guessing it is the compressor for the air ride system. It is comming on much more often and for much longer, it is to the point where the noise is annoying me. I don't notice any ride height changes but I am wondering if this is the first sign of something is gonna go? If so what am I looking at?

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
Re: Air ride compressor seems to be comming too often?

More than likely the system has a leak. And with the age of the car more than likely that leak is the air bellows on the rear shocks. Because these cars have springs and use the air for ride height correction when you load the suspension (passengers, or cargo) you are unlikely to notice a ride height change. You can spray soapy water on the bellows to check for leaks. If you have a Base or DHS replacements are relatively inexpensive. If you have a DTS and wish to retain the active suspension the cost is more. But first locate the leak. And fix it before excessive runtime and moisture harm the compressor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have the base modle deville. I will check for the leak. If the leak is where you suspect can I by a new air bellows or do I have to buy new shocks? Would you know how big a job this is, my buddy is a bit of a back yard mechanic and likes working on cars and I want to learn a bit more so I might tackle it this weekend or next? Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts

Have to buy the shocks. Not really a bad job for anyone that has replaced rear shocks before. I do this professionally so I don't gauge DIY difficulty well. No special tools required though. Just a jack and stands and basic sockets and wrenches.I'd estimate that it would take a decent DIYer an hour or two to do.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,002 Posts

I have the base modle deville. I will check for the leak. If the leak is where you suspect can I by a new air bellows or do I have to buy new shocks? Would you know how big a job this is, my buddy is a bit of a back yard mechanic and likes working on cars and I want to learn a bit more so I might tackle it this weekend or next? Thanks!
=======================
if you need new shocks -
go with the Monroe MA822 kit -
$55.43 - for the pair - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C55T7W/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

don't let the price fool you -
these are a high quality - direct replacement set of shocks -

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,313 Posts
:yeah: I put a set on my DHS and my Wife's LeSabre. Took maybe an hour and rides like factory .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts