Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be replacing one of the rear bearings. I have done a front one before, but have never done the rear ones and was wondering what I am in for with respect to the hand brake. After removing the rotor, does the entire hand brake system have to come off and if so, how difficult Is this?

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
No, and not too difficult. Takes an old man about an hour.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I completed this with a replacement bearing from Rock Auto. I am happy with the results, but took my time and actually took about six hours. The toughest areas:

1. loosening the bearing hub bolts took about 90 minutes by hand. The top right one got very tight near the end and I used a 5 ft wrench extension (steel pipe slipped over the wrench) or I would never have gotten it out.
2. The axle came loose in the bearing fairly easily (20 minutes), but the bearing was practically fused to the housing. There isn't much room to do anything, but finally I noticed that the hand brakes can be detached from the backing plate. This does not make them fall apart and it gives enough room to get a crow bar between the old bearing hub and the backing plate. Once I found that out, I got the bearing out so I thought! (1 hour)
3. Inner part of the old bearing (including ABS ring, top bezel) remained stuck to the housing after the rest of the bearing hub was removed. I ended up having to chisel all the way around the housing to remove the rest of the old bearing. It looked to me like it was glued in or something. After another 45 minutes or so, I was finally able to clean off the housing and install the new bearing.

I only had hand tools (no air tools) and like I said it took 6 hours to replace the OEM bearing. Oh, I also took some time to grease up all the control arm, rod ends etc. Overall, it is doable, but not easy and you need to be persistent, then very persistent and finally extremely persistent to get it done. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts