Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SRX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear hatch does nothing when you pull the handle. Any ideas how to get it open? Can't fix it unless I can open the damn hatch to get at the mechanism.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,173 Posts
Have you tried using your FOB to open it? If none of that works, there is a way to open it from the inside. There are some posts here about this, but I think it involves removing some of the plastic trim on the inside to gain access to a pull cable to release the lock.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FOB won't work. Hear noise from drivers side passenger door, but that is it. Hatch has one solid piece of plastic, no openings. Cut my way in?

·
Registered
19 Escalade ESV Platinum 08 SRX N* 13/14 Escalade Platinum
677 Posts
You might try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes.

Or

From Glake89

The trim panel is held on with clips that just pull off, except for 1 screw in the hand hold, which we can ignore for now since you can't get to it yet. Start pulling off along the top of the panel, then down the sides and then below the window until you can get your arm between the panel and the door metal. You'll have to feel around until you can release the latch. Once open, remove the screw and light wire connector and finish removing the panel. Then re-attach the mechanical rod that manually opens the liftgate with the outside handle.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,768 Posts
To add to what others have said, I have found that if I pull on the left side of the handle the hatch won't open, but if I pull on the right side it will open.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to try everything suggested, even if I have to destroy the panel. I sent my son with the SRX to the dealership and they wanted $900 to troubleshoot and get it open. F**K that. They would just cut their way in and then replace the panel and charge me for a new panel. No thanks, I can cut my own way in and buy and put the panel in myself, thank you.

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
982 Posts
Here's an old link of what looks like the same problem you describe: https://www.cadillacforums.com/foru...ration-forum-2004/205439-hatch-wont-open.html
Unfortunately the photo links are not good but maybe the guy's description will be helpful. Also wonder if you had access to a parts diagram showing the lock-unlock mechanism and it's location drilling out a big hole with a hole saw would be better than destroying the panel.... although it appears in the guy's description he was able to pull it out far enough to trip the lock mechanism. Any case it appears the dealer's price has gone up. Several reported the dealer only wanted $200!
Let the group know how you get it fixed!

·
Registered
2005 SRX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Read the other post and did a reply on that one too. Last post was in 2016, so hope the originator is still responding. That $900 quote was probably out their A%@ to see if I would pay it, they probably weren't really interested in tackling it.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, got it open. When suggested to pull the panel, have to instruct to pull panel starting above the window. It's open, but the liftgate won't lock now. I looked at the fuse under backseat, passenger side, and 10A fuse listed for hatch is good. Any other electrical I should check?

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,768 Posts

·
Registered
EU - SRX 2004 N* (with autogaz system) AWD, 7seat, trailer hitch westfalia.
313 Posts
Wires broken, i have already this. Don't weld inside rubber grommets, change wires for "robotic wires" (haves low radios of curvature).

·
Registered
982 Posts
I noticed a small access plugged hole on my '07 to the right of center near the bottom of the trim panel. Hadn't paid much attention before. It appears you can unlatch the mechanism thru this hole and used the outside handle to open the liftgate. Per instructions:
1. Remove trim plug with a small screwdriver
2. Thru the hole push the release lever rearward with a flat-bladed tool (??) until it releases. The lever is a small metal arm located below and left of the access hole
3. Push down on the bell crank lever to unlock the liftgate
4. Open using the outside handle

I have not verified this procedure. It was too bright to see much thru the hole. But it appears to be a way to unlock the liftgate if no power and the liftgate is locked. Don't know if all first generation SRX's have this access hole but my '07 does.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After opening the hatch and really examining how the hatch worked I see that there are 2 cables. One cable is connected to the outside handle which releases the hatch when the handle is pulled. The 2nd cable operates the actual locking system. There is a black switch that goes back and forth, and it only operated by the 2nd cable for the electric door locking and unlocking. The cable the electric locking system operates isn't moving which is why you can't unlock the hatch with your key fob. The only way to lock and unlock is to crawl back there, remove the panel so you can push that black switch manually. I would have been nice if they allowed for a key to unlock the hatch manually, like you would for the drivers door.

Now any suggestions as why whatever is causing the cable to not work? I know if the cable is broken in half, that would do it, but what operates the cable if the cable isn't broken? Checked the fuse. Does a faulty module where the fuses are allow for the hatch to not open, but allow for the rest of the doors to lock and unlock?

·
Registered
2005 SRX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, now starting to read the troubleshooting guide and trying to follow it to see if it pinpoints where the issue lies.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After looking at the mechanism again, I find that the cables are not the issue. The black switch operates the locking mechanism, and the electrical is what makes the black switch move back and forth. Now have to find out what is happening with why the switch isn't operating. Troubleshooting, what a gas.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Wonder if the fault has set any codes? They are probably B or body codes so would require a higher end scanner to read. I've read Calif. has some restrictions on who can provide this kind of service so can't be of help where to go. I bought an Autel MD805 last yr because it can read airbag codes from the SRX. Many scanners can't.

·
Registered
19 Escalade ESV Platinum 08 SRX N* 13/14 Escalade Platinum
677 Posts
"The cable the electric locking system operates isn't moving which is why you can't unlock the hatch with your key fob"

You are at #3 It is controlled by the left rear door module. Try one of the door switches, is the lock working? Does the liftgate actuator work?

As for codes they should be read prior to starting the troubleshooting. The test assumes all DTC's have been diagnosed.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have checked all the locks on the doors, including the drivers side back door and they all work. I took the latch apart and put a test light on the wire to the hatch unit and no power going there, but the light on the back panel does light up, so assume the problem lies not in the wire itself. 20190324_150310.jpg 20190324_145653.jpg 20190324_145544.jpg 20190324_145509.jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts