Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
03 3.2 /04 3.6 CTS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, need your help here. I have an '03 and while driving home tonight, my rear window shattered. It sounded like a gun shot. I looked all around the car, no holes. The glass was completely intact, and completely shattered. The cop that stopped (I called 911 and pulled over 3 miles down the road) shut the driver's door and it all fell out.

Anyone else heard of this? What the heck happened? I was going about 70 on the highway with no one else anywhere around. 85 degrees out and a/c set to about 68, I think. I don't think anything hit it, it just shattered.

Thanks for your help, I am going to try to get it replaced on Monday.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
Ok guys, need your help here. I have an '03 and while driving home tonight, my rear window shattered. It sounded like a gun shot. I looked all around the car, no holes. The glass was completely intact, and completely shattered. The cop that stopped (I called 911 and pulled over 3 miles down the road) shut the driver's door and it all fell out.

Anyone else heard of this? What the heck happened? I was going about 70 on the highway with no one else anywhere around. 85 degrees out and a/c set to about 68, I think. I don't think anything hit it, it just shattered.

Thanks for your help, I am going to try to get it replaced on Monday.
very weird.... did you maybe drive under an overpass and someone coulda thrown something at the car? im not sure what else it could posibly be...

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
Rear windows are tempered glass. The slightest damage to an edge will cause it all to craze. Pellet guns are the weapon of choice of the local vandals.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I am not sure dropping something off of an overpass could hit the rear window. Physics. Any engineers here who could calculate the possibility of an item hitting a rear window of a car travelling 70 mph or so--if the item was dropped from above??

With our luck, possibility may be 1 in 10,000,000.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I install windows and doors for a living, and tempered glass is usually very very strong. Did you feel any type of pressure inside the car before it happened? Did your ears pop?

That along with someone shooting something at it is all I could think of, unless there was some sort of uneven pressure on it from a fubar roof.

·
Registered
03 3.2 /04 3.6 CTS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was driving through the country, no overpasses, no other cars in sight. There were no holes in the glass, it was totally shattered.

I had been driving for about 20 minutes, it was after dark, the car wasn't excessivly hot (even though it had gotten up to +100 that day). I was cresting a hill and boom.

Trust me, I was looking for a chip or hole, but nothing. The glass had bowed a little along a line coming straight down from the onstar antenna, but there were no patterns to indicate where it had broken from. no spiderweb. Also didn't have any aftermarket tint, so it all fell out.

Onstar lady yold me to vacuum it out and take it to a dealer on Monday. I am 3 hours from home (again) and think I will just have it fixed locally. I think the glass was defective, but with it being an 03, I doubt Cadillac will be of any help on this one...

I am stumped

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
I have heard this happening with the STS's but this is a first for a CTS. The pressure caused by closing the door will be enough to shatter the rear glass on rare occasions. In your case, maybe there was a substantial outside pressure change that caused the window to shatter. It just goes to show how tightly the doors seal and the downside to sealing too tightly.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Any cows nearby??? Lots of articles on methane these days. (If you have a spouse or g/f, tell her I was talking about OUTSIDE the vehicle.)

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
HOW LOUDE DID YOU HAVE YOUR STEREO???? lol...

·
Registered
CTS
2,557 Posts
This happened to my uncle.... The Highway Patrol thought that someone might have shot at the window...... Who knows man..... THank God your alive!!!

·
Registered
03 3.2 /04 3.6 CTS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I didn't have the stereo on, and no cows present. There were woods 20 yards off the highway.

(It was after dinner, so the methane theory is possible, but not from me, and she usually claims her's)

X

·
0 Posts
I had my drivers window shatter while I was driving my truck late one night. Very cold night and I was about 2 hours from home...never did figure out what the hell happened.

·
Registered
04 CTS SPORT/LUX W/NAVI LIGHT PLATINUM ON BLACK- COOL MODS!
1,313 Posts
a pebble, along with a homemade slingshot made out of a quarter water bottle top and a water ballon will do that to your back window. Dont ask me how i know. :bouncy:

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
The elastic powered shooters were for the kiddies. We made David and Goliath style slings with ranges in the hundreds of yards.

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
I've seen extreme temperature differences do that. Other than that I'd say it'd have to be a hairline crack aggravated or something hit it.

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
I've seen extreme temperature differences do that. Other than that I'd say it'd have to be a hairline crack aggravated or something hit it.
You can find some pretty good references if you Google "tempered glass". Any damage at all can be catastrophic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts