Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so the weather is getting nicer and I'm in a fixing mood and since I fixed all the minor issues with my truck and my wife's Tahoe, its Caddy time :) I was going to order the rear bumper fillers for my '79 CDV. I noticed I'm missing one right below the license plate....but I can't tell, do I have that 3 piece set painted? Should I remove the piece thats currently there and have it painted at the same time? Should I take the pieces to the local Cadillac dealer's body shop or would any reputable body shop be better? The paint on my car isn't in the best shape so I don't know if I'm looking for a perfect job, but I'd rather have one that will last and match fairly well. Here's some pics, thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood
84 Posts
Have them all painted, and don't worry about the dealership, they all use Dupont or PPG paint anyhow.

I suggest looking on Craigslist for a guy who does paintwork out of his garage or barn, you'll probably pay a fraction of what a body shop would get, and with panels that small, they'll look fine.

Anything over $150 for prep and paint is excessive, as long as none of the plastic needs epoxy work.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Have them all painted, and don't worry about the dealership, they all use Dupont or PPG paint anyhow.

I suggest looking on Craigslist for a guy who does paintwork out of his garage or barn, you'll probably pay a fraction of what a body shop would get, and with panels that small, they'll look fine.

Anything over $150 for prep and paint is excessive, as long as none of the plastic needs epoxy work.
Mine were 80 bucks for spray. I did all the prep and epoxy work (don't use warm water when wetsanding originals, they might tear if they get too warm) . Half of the cost was paint. They looked decent, but there was a small run in the clear on one rear filler (have to really look to see it) and you could tell where I got lazy on the sanding on one of the front ones (didn't sand out some rough paint so it obviously showed back up)

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
If you are getting a shop to paint them don't do any prep work, let them deal with it all.

If that last center piece you have is still good don't bother getting a replacement, they usually don't go bad. But if it's anything like the 80s and 90s Broughams were you need to take the bumper apart to get that piece off.

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
When I went to the forum this morning, an ad popped up at the Forum's header. It was probably Google butting in and it was for a company called E & K Bumper Fillers and it showed all the GM lines that used fillers in the 70's, 80's and 90's as well as other American cars of the same era that used them. Very little info on the company such as location, testimonials from past customers etc. The products depicted looked ok but photos can be faked as we all know. Has anyone here used the ABS plastic fillers from E & K??

Cheers........R

----------

Only info was an IP address "www.eandkbumperfillers.com"

R.

·
Registered
79 DeVille Phaeton, 57 Eldo Biarritz, 79 Fleetwood d'Eleganc
139 Posts
Yes I bought a set, but the car is still at the body shop waiting for paint they look fine but will need to be prepped and painted. They are fiberglass not like the originals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts