Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Calais Sedan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering why in my car back up lights are in a outer position. By what I saw around all cars have those lights in a inner position. Any ideas?

Luca

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Re: Here is a pic, just to be clear..

Wow, tough to own a car that large when your roads were originally footpaths and parking spaces were designed for Fiats.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
I have no idea, would it be possible that they were put back on wrong? That's all I can think of.

That's a beautiful car, you should post more pictures!

·
Registered
1976 Calais Sedan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for appreciating my car! Actually I was quite lucky, bought it on a Ebay auction in UK without the possibility to see it but I was quite lucky. Car is quite good. I will surely post other pics.
About Rear filler panels, I suspected that they were just assembled in a wrong way because, as I said, didn't see other cars with lights in that position. I will have to modify them.

·
Registered
1976 Calais Sedan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You were right, Benzilla. Someone put them back in a wrong way. Today I gave a look and realized that the assemblies were put back in the opposite way......Probably someone was :alchi:

Here is a pic of the car. Looks nice but still needs some detailing works.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Awesome car! Is that the original color? It's very lively.

You really were lucky buying it on eBay, that's how I got my '79. Although that was just on the other side of the United States.

Glad we could help you on the back up lights, weird things happen some times.

·
Registered
1976 Calais Sedan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I am very lucky that such Cadillac forum exist! Internet really changed our life.

Car originally was white. Once imported in UK had been painted in opalescent orange because featured in a TV show called "Worst Britain Celebrity Driver". Actually I do not really like bright colours but I have to say that the car looks pretty nice anyway.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
That is interesting, how did they use it on "Worst Britain Celebrity Driver"? And why did it have to be painted for that? I'm curious.

·
Registered
1976 FLEETWOOD brougham
355 Posts
Hello Luca.

Is it possible that the back up lights have been used as directional lights with a amber bulb, and therefor been put so those lights are in the outer position.

I know that here in Sweden can it be hard to get a american car approwed with only red lights as directional lights. But I don't know it is so in UK and Italy to.

Very nice car BTW. I like the colour to.

Jolle

·
Registered
1976 Calais Sedan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably the car was painted in such color for scenographical reasons. White, maybe, was not enough impressive..:)
The show, as I understood, was quite simple. They just put some VIP's on the cars and made them driving through all England. About my car the VIP was Peter Purves, a TV celebrity in England. I asked to the network a copy of the show but, because copyright reasons, I could not get it, too bad.

Jolle, I think you are right. I am going through all papers etc. etc. to register the car in Italy and, as in Sweden, I think I would have the same problem. So, this is probably why they did such work in England. I think that if I want to put the lights in the original way I would have to put little directional lights on the corners......:eek: NEVER! Better to keep reversed back up lights as directional ones.

·
Registered
1976 FLEETWOOD brougham
355 Posts
hello.
I think it is a good idea to keep the back up lights as directional lights if you must and can.
I have seen some poor examples when people have put lights on the car that more looks if they belong on a traktor or a trailer, and totaly destroy the look of a classic rear end.
Here in Sweden is there fairly common to put amber lights on when the car is in for the yearly, or if the car is more than 30 years old, every second year inspection, and then use the original lights the other time , it is very rare that the police stop a car just for that.

I got very lucky when i got my -76 since the first owner here in Sweden had lived in USA and bought and used the car there atleast six months, and therefor imported the cadillac as a "moving objekt".

Because that my car don't need to forfill Swedens demands regarding some rules, so the car is just like it was in USA.

I don't have to have rear amber turn lights, I don't need a km showing speedo and odometer, and at the time for the import it was much cheaper and easier paperwork.

I have never been to Italy but from I have seen on TV It looks like you will have a little challance to drive (and park) that car in the citys there, but I belive the others drivers will move over when you come. It is pretty fun to drive a six meter long car where a five meter long car is consedering BIG.

I whish you good luck with your job to get it approwed, so you can start enjoy it to the max.

jolle

·
Registered
1976 Calais Sedan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ciao,

yes, I think that Sweden and Italy, by the moment they are part of EC, have pretty similar rules about cars.

Anyway, if you consider that I live in the middle of the countryside, where towns are very small.....yes, driving this car around here is quite funny. Obviously I can not drive everywhere because roads are quite narrow but it is not that bad.. Just need to be a little careful not to destroy other cars around....:)

·
Registered
'94, '93 & '76 FWBs. '77 '79 & '73 CDVs, '65 Drop, '62 CDV
414 Posts
Luca,

From one part Italian to another - congratulations!! [I'm an eight Italain on my Father's side and the rest is English with a bit of Scottish thrown in]

What year is your car? '76? I have a '76 Fleetwood Brougham which has the back up lights in the normal, inner position - and the horrible dangly amber lights that ruin the rear end but are neccessary for the annual MoT [Ministry of Transport] inspection in the UK so the lights were added by the previous owner when I had him run it through the inspection before I bought it.

I was intending to reverse my lamp units and do away with the additional lights just as yours are. My back up lamps function as indicators as well as the added ones. This is most definitely 100% what has been done with your car and a very neat way of doing it too.

If you peel the stainless / chrome bezels off you will see that the divider in between the filler panel betwen back up lamp and rear red lamp has been cut and the whole unit either flipped over upside down or changed side to side.

I was wondering if it can be done and now I see it can. If I were you I would leave it exactly as it is sine it is the best way of getting a legal rear end in Europe and now someone has gone to the trouble to do it I would leave it done.

Tell me - do the light units sit well against chrome bezels or are there gaps please?

regards & thanks, Nick Stratta

1 - 16 of 16 Posts