Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone i'm new here i have a 1992 5.0 Brougham i just got it back in november it had 62,832. Now it has 66,XXX on it, the motor is strong i got it from an 89 year old guy he bought it brand new when it came out.
i am swaping the motor out to a 5.7 now i have a ? i am looking for a posi rear end that would just bolt right up i have been told that if i an found a 1992 caprice with a 5.7 in it that it will have the posi rear but i was also wondering that if a 94-96 impala ss rear end and tranny and motor would just bolt right up i know the tranny and motor should (hopefully) bolt up but what i am really worried about is if the rear end will bolt right up and do u think that tranny and motor should bolt right up if not then i have to find the caprice with the 5.7 posi rear end in it thank you

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'm pretty sure the newer LT1 motor will NOT bolt up. The regular Chevy 350 will be a bit of a challenge, since the car has a Buick-Olds-Pontiac bolt pattern engine in it now. (Olds 307) I'm going to move this thread into the fleetwood section so you can get an answer regarding the rear.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Cool, sounds like someone did the work converting to the other bolt pattern for you. I'm guessing the person who had the car before you did the swap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the easiest thing to do would be to find a caprice cop car or most wagons to my knowledge also came with the posi.the regular sedans are hit or miss.if you are going to crawl thru junkyards the easiest thing is to look under the back & look for a small metal tag sticking out from the rear cover.this tag tells of the need for posi additive.most cars still have these.this isn't 100% but it's a good indication.as for an impala ss drivetrain it will fit no problem,but the associated electrical wiring, black boxes,etc. all need to be transplanted to make the fuel inj. & trans work.not saying it can't be done,but it won't happen in a saturday afternoon. have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
maksitfaster