Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear end went gave up the ghost today. It was the second one, car has 35k on it and maggie for the last 6k and not beaten. The rear was the 06 type. Im so frustrated with this car:banged: I was just getting off the freeway coming home from base and put it in 3rd at about 25 from a roll and BANG!!!!

Im exploring all my options right row, what does everyone think? cash is an issue with my line of work, but ill do what i need to to get it back on the road. creative steel seems like the one ill be going with because i don't have the extra 1200 to get the g-force 9", should i get the entire kit from cs or just the brackets. There is a junkyard within Huffy range from my house but im not really sure what im looking for when i get there?

Im open for opinions and appreciate any advice, thanks!

·
Registered
none
82 Posts
So no mods in the one that went? Gforce anti hop kit, Creative Steel diff block and upgraded diff bushing so that is about $600. Not sure if you need another 2nd gen rear if you do these mods as the hop should be the issue unless you are running slicks.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The housing is cracked, fluid everywhere but i did make it another three miles home from where it actually went bang, it was weird, almost like it skipped a couple teeth on the ring gear and then a horrendous noise all the way home. But the whole unit looks to be done for and im not going to put money into any oem fix for this an sit there and worry evertime i want to hammer on it.

·
Registered
'06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor; 2014 XTS-Vsport
634 Posts
I would like to see some pictures of your cracked rear . .:rimshot: . no pun intended . :duck:

Really, :coffee: I suspect :suspect:the crack is on the right side. I would like to see where it begins and ends. :wisdom:

Good luck :vulcan:

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,786 Posts
Sounds like you need to stick to a "kit" if you don't know what an 8.8" rear end is. No offense but it isn't something you want to start digging through without some published data available.

Either Geforce or CS. Just remember though that the Geforce does come with a new DS instead of utilizing your old one.

·
Registered
2004 Raven Black CTS-V
135 Posts
If cash is an issue and you are willing to do some research, go for the creative steel kit. Let us know of any issues you run in to. You can pick up the 8.8 and leave it as is until you have the cash to rebuild it. You can always throw in posi and gears down the road.

·
Registered
None
447 Posts
Under the circumstances digging through a junkyard probably isn't the best way to go. Used ebay diff is around $800 (I just saw one two days ago, and mr. alex7 there has one) and you can slap that sucker right in there and go for now. Then you'd be right back on the road, have time to save for either kit, or starting piecing together your own 8.8, and sell that same used diff for what you bought it for when you do go with a kit. Just a thought.

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,786 Posts
Under the circumstances digging through a junkyard probably isn't the best way to go. Used ebay diff is around $800 (I just saw one two days ago, and mr. alex7 there has one) and you can slap that sucker right in there and go for now. Then you'd be right back on the road, have time to save for either kit, or starting piecing together your own 8.8, and sell that same used diff for what you bought it for when you do go with a kit. Just a thought.
True. And Alex7's is gen 3 of 4 (what I have) so if the price is right that might be the angle to take.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay im going to start pulling everything apart today. Had some long days towards the end of the week but as far as the diff, i cant find or see what exactly happened just from looking underneath it, but it has puked whatever fluid was left out onto my garage floor but from what i can see the axle seals are still intact at least. I like the idea of finding an 8.8 and slowly putting together everything i need!!

·
Registered
'06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor; 2014 XTS-Vsport
634 Posts
Please take pictures of any structural failure to the case.
I'm interested in seeing crack propagation & location.
Thanks

·
Registered
07 - CTS-V
407 Posts
just make sure to figure out what the actual savings are to peice the 8.8 together, unless you get a great deal on the used diff, you will loose hte money paid for shipping (when you sell it again the guy is going to want to pay the same price + shipping to him) plus if you sell on ebay/paypal, there will be fees there... then you have to do the job twice. Not saying there is not money to be saved, but make sure you look at the big picture, and hoe much hassle you actually are willing to go through. it's easier to piece one together if you didn't haev a broken one already to take care of.

Make sure you get one with the correct spline count if you intend on purchasing teh axles from CS.

I vote for going with the 8.8 though... with a maggie it would be better then stock

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Did you have axles when you blew your diff?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope i was on stock axles. After much thought, i think im going with the g-force 9". I want a good driveshaft, axles and a complete kit that doesn't have any wheelhop whatsoever. i figure if i get that then ill never need to even think about my diff again, which to me is worth every bit of $5500

1 - 16 of 16 Posts