Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 05' 3.6L MANUAL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone. this is my first post on this website. I have an issue that I would like some advice on. I own a CTS 3.6L, 2005 6 speed manual transmission. I think my issue is with the rear differential. My problem is as follows: From a complete stop, then accelerating hard off the line I get this very scary feeling in the floor, and deep sound (repeat knocking) from the rear. This knocking gets faster as i go faster. It is stickly limited to first gear and only off the line. I have been told by a mechanic that this issue exsists in the in all cts-v's prior to 2008, being thats its also manual transmission. He tried to sell me a bracket thats after market to rectify/remedy this problem. Does anyone out there have a similar experience. He also said its something to do with warn bushings??? I can barely peel out anymore. (Not that I abuse my car, but its nice to be able to peel out). I was also told that continuing to drive without this bracket, would not damage my differential. To my unexpierenced ear, it almost sound like gears skipping the teeth. But then again what do I know. Please Help.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
We ain't no smarter than you, man, although my wife says I definitely ain't as dumb as I look. (She always stands up for me and defends me.)

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
Here's a question for you. When you peal out, do you have the traction control enabled? Which by default of every time you start the CTS it's enabled. To disable it, just open the glove box and press and release the T/C button. This will disable the traction control system and also dampen the stability control. If you however want to disable both the traction control and stability control. You have to press and hold the T/C button for 5 to 10 seconds. The DIC will then say Stability Control disabled, or something like that.

To enable both of them, just press and release the T/C button again. Or restart the CTS.

KOT

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
We see issues on the V series with the nose bushing in the differential giving way.
You don't need the BMR brace, probably just a replacement bushing.
If you look in the V section you'll see that we offer a UUC bushing and there is a signup list for use of the tool to remove the old one.
You should visually verify that this is the issue. Get the vehicle in the air and look on the passenger's side at the front of the diff, you'll see where the diff is mounted.
Get a flashlight and look at the bushing, if there is rubber hanging out of there it is wasted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kingoftypos :
Traction control is disengaged. Even with traction control shut off I cannot peel out in a straight line, only on turns. I have always been able to peel out with it disengaged. This is a new noise that i never heard before. Thanks for your advice

ewill3rd:
I had the car up on a lift and didnt see significant damage to the bushings, but i was told that it was worn down. This particular mechanic claims to have experience with cts v. I only question because the v has soo much more power than what i have. I couldnt imaging 255 hp would do that. My car only has 29k miles on it. thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
Is this just a knocking sound or can you feel it too?

here is a pic of my destroyed front diff bushing:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes This is exactly what mine looks like. And yes the whole floor and the pedal shakes/knocks. I feel it the most on a dry day with maximum grip to the road.
Did you have to replace and add the brace? or would the brace be enough?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If yours looks like that it is destroyed.
It isn't so much the horsepower but your manual transmission.
If you do some burnouts and stuff it is harder on the mount.
I suggest you scoot over to the V area and look at the UUC diff bushing.
It should slip right into your diff and you'll never have to worry about that again.
There is a big discussion on this issue over there. I replace those all the time.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
what you are describing sounds like wheel hop but I've never heard of a 6 cylinder CTS having that issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate everyones advice. I am putting the car back up on the lift today to explore my options. I cannot find where to buy this uuc rear diff bushing. Hopefully my mechanic will be able to take care of it. The noise if progressively getting worse. I felt and heard it today for the first time in 2nd gear off a hard acceleration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts