Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought I was through with oil stains, I've begun to notice dripping from the rear of my '89 Brougham. From below, the rear differential differential appears wet with oil and dripping.

How do I go about fixing this? I've never done any rear end work before. I think I can simply add fluid, but I would like a more permanent fix. Haven't really seen any threads on this, so any advice?

-Greg

·
Registered
90 Brougham, 09 Saab 9-3 Wagon
26 Posts
It depends on where it's leaking from. If it's the cover just change the gasket. The pinion seal is cheap but a lot more work. You could get lucky and the fill plug is loose.

·
Registered
'09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '05 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2,241 Posts
What side is the fluid leaking from, the driveshaft side, or the cover side? If it's the cover side, it's just a matter of unbolting the cover, scraping off old gasket material, and RTVing and bolting the cover back on. Then filling through the plug until the fluid level is even with the bottom of the plug hole. Did this on my friend's truck, and some Jeeps. Really easy. :D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will jack it up and take a closer look. I honestly have no idea what the mechanicals are like back there. Time to bust out service manual I guess!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,389 Posts
No need to check the manual. It is pretty basic, as the others have pointed out.

Here's your rear end, removed from the car. The cover is the part at the back held on with the bolts in a circle (with the drain pan by it). The other seal is at the pinion, the part that the yoke bolts on to. The yoke is the part that the driveshaft connects to.

The cover fix is very easy, and the pinion seal fix isn't much harder.

If you are bored, here's a vid on replacing a pinion seal:

There's a couple things in the vid I would do differently, but no big deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts