Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 ATS4 - ZZP Intake Tube, ZZP DP, Renick Exhaust, Throttle Body upgrade, ZZP FMIC, ZZP Tune
104 Posts
Everyone lol... Maybe a little exaggerated, but a vast majority have. It's a well known problem amongst out vehicles.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Thanks for the info Ey3z. I haven't seen a recall notice. Took it in to the dealer yesterday for repair and they didn't mention one either. Interesting

·
Registered
14 ATS4 - ZZP Intake Tube, ZZP DP, Renick Exhaust, Throttle Body upgrade, ZZP FMIC, ZZP Tune
104 Posts
There isn't a recall for it at all and there should be. Most of us agree on that. If you're under warranty, most dealerships take care of it for you. If not, it's not an expensive fix. As long as your rear diff isn't shot. It doesn't grind or make an obnoxious noise, does it?

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man I hope not. It's starting to hum/whine a bit. It doesn't look like it dropped excessive oil. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do you know about how long it's been leaking? Level may be low if it's "slight" hum. It could be one of two things... Vent/filter needs cleaned or gasket needs replaced. Either way, I'd drain it and clean the vent. It's not a tough task to do at all. Changing the gasket isn't either.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
784 Posts
Yeah, if you're keeping the car past the warranty period and you do your own maintenance, you may want to put the diff on the list for a once or twice a year drain and fill plus vent cleaning. Under warranty I had the axle seals replaced 3 times and the entire diff replaced once (a failure not caused by the leaking, actually) and it's just something all our diffs seam to do. Next time I'm under there I'm going to take a serious look at what would be required in removing the spring cap from the vent and clamping on a hose instead and just routing it up somewhere kind of high. I think my axle seals will always leak, but without pressure from the vent, clogged or not, it should leak as much...I think.

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
619 Posts
Next time I'm under there I'm going to take a serious look at what would be required in removing the spring cap from the vent and clamping on a hose instead and just routing it up somewhere kind of high
The vent assembly should be a pipe thread, pick up a hose nipple that fits. Put a loop at the top of the hose so the end points down to prevent water intrusion.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac ATS
167 Posts
Where does the leak take place on the differential? Can someone post a photo? So far mine does not leak after 30,000 miles, I changed the oil once already. Base model with the 2.5 engine.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
784 Posts
Where does the leak take place on the differential? Can someone post a photo? So far mine does not leak after 30,000 miles, I changed the oil once already. Base model with the 2.5 engine.
For me, I'll a wet streak from the bottom of where the axle meets the diff (one side or the other or both) down the the bottom of the diff. All also sometimes see a hanging drop on the bottom of the diff, too. There are many small drip stains on my garage floor just under where the diff usually is.

If you're not seeing any dips on the floor/ground and if your diff isn't wet on dry days, you're probably fine. The diff vent is on the top of the diff at the rear right corner and sticks straight up. It's a loose fitting cap with a spring inside that pushes down on a rubber gasket. When pressure builds up inside, the air is supposed to push up on that rubber gasket to release the pressure. Many of us have come to the conclusion that sometimes that rubber gets either stuck to the opening or the cap itself gets crud up in it (I live on a dirt road and that may be a contributing factor. Sometimes I jiggle the cap and crud falls out) and the next easiest place for pressure to release is to squeeze past the axle seals, which also happens to squeeze out fluid.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know about how long it's been leaking? Level may be low if it's "slight" hum. It could be one of two things... Vent/filter needs cleaned or gasket needs replaced. Either way, I'd drain it and clean the vent. It's not a tough task to do at all. Changing the gasket isn't either.
Don't know how long, but I got a call back from the dealer. They are going to replace the axle seals as well as the diff seal. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, if you're keeping the car past the warranty period and you do your own maintenance, you may want to put the diff on the list for a once or twice a year drain and fill plus vent cleaning. Under warranty I had the axle seals replaced 3 times and the entire diff replaced once (a failure not caused by the leaking, actually) and it's just something all our diffs seam to do. Next time I'm under there I'm going to take a serious look at what would be required in removing the spring cap from the vent and clamping on a hose instead and just routing it up somewhere kind of high. I think my axle seals will always leak, but without pressure from the vent, clogged or not, it should leak as much...I think.
Ya, I'll keep it until it starts costing me more than wife maintenance, JK. So the dealership is going to take care of the axle seals and diif seal...still under warranty! Let me know how the hose mod goes, definitely interested. And thanks for the info friend, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
17' 6MT ATS Carbon Black, 09' Malibu, 08' Infinity G35x, 04' Ion Redline,
165 Posts
Next time I'm under there I'm going to take a serious look at what would be required in removing the spring cap from the vent and clamping on a hose instead and just routing it up somewhere kind of high. I think my axle seals will always leak, but without pressure from the vent, clogged or not, it should leak as much...I think.

This might help stir your mind

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
645 Posts
I have heard a faint whine from what sounds like the rear end since I bought my 2014 2.0T 6spd manual ATS 3 years ago, it has not changed in pitch or gotten louder. The tech foreman at my dealership rode with me and acknowledged the sound. They kept my car a couple days once because they had another manual coming in they wanted to compare to while driving and they said the other manual car did the same thing. So they concluded the faint whine was because of the manual transmission. I don't know if that's true, but I guess since nothing has changed in 3 years it's okay...or so I hope.

I did have the diff seals replaced once under warranty because they were leaking and they did a B&M fluid service. Apparently since I had that service done before a certain mileage I have a warranty from B&M that will cover $2000 of the repair cost if my diff ever needs replaced. If I had gotten it in earlier it would be $4000 coverage, but I did not have the leak then.

I check the diff vent whenever I am out tinkering with the car, apparently if you kind of tap on the top cap and it "bobble heads", then that means it is clear and not clogged. I am going to make cleaning the vent part of regular maintenance...maybe a couple times a year? I don't know, this is all new to me, this is my first RWD car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts