Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right! Returned from a week in FL to find a pretty sizable puddle of rear differential fluid sitting on the garage floor. Went for a quick spin to heat up the rear fluid and then jacked up the V. Sure enough, a steady drip around the front seal where the drive shaft. The bottom of the car is sprayed with fluid where the driveshaft was flinging outward. Oh well. Maybe I'll be surprised and this repair won't be a hassle. Who am I kidding. Time to break out the boxing gloves again.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Leave the gloves off, can't poke the eyes with them on!!!!

Seriously, the dealers are now getting hip to the diff problem, I received my '06 diff without a hitch...perhaps you will too.

HNY,
ace

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
As long as we have the CTS 6Cyl rear. It aint gonna be reliable. Period. Thicker case big friggin deal. We need beefier gears and internal components.
We need the rear from the Vette's. GM, wake up!

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GT04CTS-V said:
CVP33,

- Happy New Rear -

GT
:histeric: Now that was funny. I just got back from dropping her off. Had the new Falkens put on as well. Didn't really get a chance to ring them out properly yet, but I did notice a little better turn in but more road noise. Not objectionable but more. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Tha case on #2 stayed intact. It self destructed internally. Gears were ok and it still moved. I think the pinion bearing went. Had to tow this one. Good luck with the 06 diff..

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Marty:
Do you think that converting to a fixed one piece drive shaft from either Coleman Racing or BMR in lieu of the two piece shaft might make some difference if in fact the carrier case didn't budge.

I have a carrier sitting on the garage floor where the case itself cracked straight through where the pinion pushing is. Other than that; no other cracks.

I have not taken it apart to see what internal damage might have been done. I obtained this carrier from a total wreck and assume the previous owner didn't even realize that the case had cracked if there was no noticeable internal gear howling noise at the time.

ps: give me your Paypal address so I can match the Aussie carrier funds as promised. Any extra left over should go to Reed at www.cadillacfaq.com

Pete

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
pietroraimondi said:
Marty:
Do you think that converting to a fixed one piece drive shaft from either Coleman Racing or BMR in lieu of the two piece shaft might make some difference if in fact the carrier case didn't budge.

I have a carrier sitting on the garage floor where the case itself cracked straight through where the pinion pushing is. Other than that; no other cracks.

I have not taken it apart to see what internal damage might have been done. I obtained this carrier from a total wreck and assume the previous owner didn't even realize that the case had cracked if there was no noticeable internal gear howling noise at the time.

ps: give me your Paypal address so I can match the Aussie carrier funds as promised. Any extra left over should go to Reed at www.cadillacfaq.com

Pete
I dont necessarily think the OEM shaft is bad. I just dont like 2 peice because it moves around a lot..which we dont need.

I have to wait for the cradle to show up so that it can be weighed for shipping. I will let you know what the total is.

·
Registered
~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
1,749 Posts
I wonder if other factors play into the differentials sudden death. I have watched quite a few drag racing videos of "Vs" hard launching while making 1/4 mile runs, and have not heard of a rear failure yet. Is it possible, that something like traction control, either set to "on" or set to "off" during hard launching could have an effect on durability.

·
Registered
Orginal owner; 2004 CTS-V
566 Posts
Hey CVP33,

I don't know what you do for a living, but you are shoe in for any company that requires durability testing for diff and the like.:bighead:

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer called today. New sunvisor (mine was peeling around the garage opener), new Radiator ordered, new '06 rear diff' ordered, no fuss. I was ready but it never came. It should also be noted that I used my usual technique of removing all my mod's. PITA but I'd rather have a stock appearing V than have to fight a warranty claim due to a catch can, CAGS eliminater or CAI. I even put new tires on her, but honestly she needed them. Hopefully I'll have my V back by Monday. The dilema now becomes that I'm fully eligible for the lemon law and can force a buy back at this point. I've had the following repairs which will total in excess of 30 days out of service in 5 months:

rear differential replaced 2 times
outter half shaft failure
inner half shaft failure
radiator replaced
radio/NAV replaced
3 bushings replaced
sunvisor replaced
transmission rebuilt
new clutch
new pressure plate
new slave cylinder
new driveshaft
replace one bent wheel (from factory)
new center caps (peeling) thanks James!
2 recalls

Phew! My V's been busy.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V SOLD /// 2009 CTS-V own
1,036 Posts
Glad to see they are taking care of you without any problems this time....:thumbsup:
You will have her back in no time, and she will be much better..
On a side note, has anyone had a failure with an 06 diff yet, how much better are they??
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
What are you leaning towards-buyback?Keep in mind if you go the lemon route you'll lose your status as the unluckiest person in here.I think you should go for a failed diff record.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I may hold the failed rear diff' record already. If you count the half shafts and the failure in my '04 we're looking at 5 failures in all. As for the buy back I'm just exploring my options. It might be a good way to get into an '06 with a little less pain. God knows I've earned it after all I've been through with the V. :histeric:

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Neither. What are you readying for? BTW, Colonial is the worst. They sell V's for $10,000 over MSRP (or try to), their tech's don't know squat about the V and fixed my second rear diff' really well when they claimed the V didn't have a limited slip set up and let me drive for hundreds of miles with no anti-chatter additive. Avoid Colonial at all costs. I won't even go into the battle I had over warranty repairs. Not worth reliving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts