Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give up :confused: Dealer printed out the following Diff Fluid for Front and Rear. Synthetic Gear Oil GM: 89021677 Canadian: 89021678 Then I call to check on the rear gasket for the diff, $17- Nuts I say.... :bulging: So I ask him to confirm if I need the additive for the rear, he says I don't think so.... :banghead: So, I then ask him to confirm based on the above P/N's he gave me last week, puts me on hold, then says I need the additive.... What gives.... :suspect:

If I cant trust the parts department at the Dealer, who do I trust? :wacky:

So, can anyone provide me with the following.

1. Confirmation on what Diff Fluid for Front and Rear... 70/90 Synthetic
2. Friction Modifier needed? AMSOIL stated it comes in there fluid already.... but get this.... If you hear a little chatter, add a tube of modifier...:emocide:
3. What is the P/N for the gasket. I know I can make one with RTV,, but is there a gasket for back there?
4. After drain and refill, I read that it should be a bit below the fill plug. Then I read somewhere else that after you fill it to wait about 45 min, the level will drop because it will fill the axle slowly, and then you will be able to add the proper amount...

Who can you trust.... The Forum....

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
194 Posts
Chris with Rippy Cadillac - Rippypartsdept has helped me get all necessary OEM parts I have ever needed for my escalade. He goes above and beyond to help a guy out. So now, he's the only place I'll go for parts. Give him a VIN number and he will get you what you need.

There is a gasket for the rear diff cover.

Also, the owners manual has all pertinent info on axle/diff fluid filling levels and procedures. At least my 2008 manual does. The manuals have good info in them.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
The additive is ONLY for use in Limited Slip differentials. GM trucks and SUV's DO NOT have limited slip differentials.

I have posted this information in several threads in recent days. 75W-90 Synthetic is the correct viscosity to use front and rear.

The AMSOIL gear lube DOES NOT contain a limited slip additive. No where on their web site, in the data sheet or on the package does it so state.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2043.pdf

GM promotional info..............
¨ Optional Equipment (G80 Order Code) on all GM two-wheel and four-wheel drive light trucks and sport utilities.

Benefits

¨ Improved traction differentiates the vehicle relative to other rear wheel and four-wheel drive vehicles on the market.

¨Maintenance free; requires no lube additives.

¨ Enhanced towing and off-road performance.

¨ Patented carbon friction disc technology enhances performance and durability while reducing warranty claims.

Principles of Operation

¨ Wheel speed difference (left to right) in excess of 100 RPM will cause a flyweight mechanism to open and catch a latching bracket.

¨ The stopped flyweight will trigger a self-energizing clutch system, which results in the cam plate ramping against a side gear.

¨ Ramping increases until both axles turn at the same speed (full lock), which prevents further wheel slip.

¨ At speeds above 20MPH, the latching bracket swings away from the governor and prevents lockup from occurring.

Technical Specifications

¨ Automatic locking takes place within a fraction of a second, so smoothly that it is unnoticed by the average driver.

¨ Unlocking occurs automatically, once the need for improved traction is gone, and is unnoticeable to the average driver.

¨ Compatible with anti-lock brake systems.
Excerpt from a service bulletin..
The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.
So, use it in your SRX if you like BUT not in the Escalade. Two completely different designs of differentials.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks prormk & Z71. It looks like Chris lo longer works at Rippy...

Submariner409
Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 F150 SuperCab 4x4
Join Date:Feb 2006Location:MD Eastern Shore - Kent IslandAge:75Posts:47,260

Rippy Cadillac parts service has changed

Chris, our CF member in the Parts Dep't of Rippy Cadillac, is no longer working at the dealership. To the best of my knowledge the discount and shipping services are no longer offered to CF.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are u sure no limited slip diff ? As I posted on another thread :

G80 Axle, rear, Positraction, limited slip positraction L/Slip R/Axl (G80).

The additive is ONLY for use in Limited Slip differentials. GM trucks and SUV's DO NOT have limited slip differentials.

I have posted this information in several threads in recent days. 75W-90 Synthetic is the correct viscosity to use front and rear.

The AMSOIL gear lube DOES NOT contain a limited slip additive. No where on their web site, in the data sheet or on the package does it so state.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2043.pdf

GM promotional info..............

Excerpt from a service bulletin..

So, use it in your SRX if you like BUT not in the Escalade. Two completely different designs of differentials.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here we go again... :suspense:

----------

Aftermarket oil additives, other than those specified by
AMSOIL, are not recommended for use with AMSOIL gear oil.
AMSOIL Severe Gear is compatible with most limited-slip
differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add
AMSOIL Slip Lock® friction modifier additive.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
AS SAID NO TO THE ADDITIVE, will it hurt anything? NO It's just not need because these trucks have rear locking diff that does not use clutch plates. Side note many high end gear oils today like Amsoil have friction modders included

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
When I had the differential fluid replaced on my escalade hybrid, they pretty much indicated that the rear needed a friction additive. 195k miles later, everything was perfect.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just dropped at dealer for different service, I asked about limited slip diff with code G80, YES, it's limited slip diff. So it will needed a friction additive, even service adviser said and recommended to replace every 40 ,000 miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts