Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
07 ESV
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our 07 ESV the right rear window defroster tab has come off the window, and I am wondering what folks are have paid to have this repaired at the dealer.

Is this something I can do?

Thanks

Tim in Fairfax, VA

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV
10 Posts
This recently happened at the end of my 08 warranty. The dealer first tried to solder it back on and then ordered a whole new back glass.

B

·
Registered
'11 Cadillac Escalade
337 Posts
If you're not covered by the warranty any more you can pay the dealer to fix it or you can take it to any auto glass shop and they should be able to repair it.

My tab fell off last year I went to the my old dealer and for some reason the service guy told me it was not covered and to just go to some auto glass shop down the street. I did get a quote from the auto glass shop I can't remember the amount I think it was under $130... but I ended up going to a different dealership and getting it done under warranty I think that other service guy guy was smoking crack or something...

As for doing it yourself...The guy at the auto glass shop told me they solder it back in place and than they place the glass under some heat lamps for a couple of hours. He also mentioned that these fall off a lot on many vehicles and sometimes you might need to solder them back in place a couple of times. In my opinion it's not worth the trouble have a pro fix it for you.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV, Range Rover Overfinch 480S, E500 4Matic
47 Posts
I soldered mine back on, took 3 minutes tops. Super easy to do if you have a hot enough soldering gun. As a matter of fact, I've had to repair this on every fullsize SUV I have had. My dog's destroy those things with their tails.

·
Registered
Escalade
98 Posts
you don't solder them back on.. there is a glue that the auto glass place uses to put it on, it's a conductive glue (silver, looks like solder) and i had mine done 3 months ago for $45 Canadian.

·
Registered
07 ESV
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up the GM replacement tab and followed the step by step GM instructions for "Soldering Defroster Contact Tabs" . The solder joint appears solid, and I am hopeful this problem is behind me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Tim in Fairfax, VA

·
Registered
Escalade ESV, Range Rover Overfinch 480S, E500 4Matic
47 Posts
Nice work Tim, I dunno about special glue, but I soldered mine and it's been perfect. Cheers

·
Registered
07 Escalade ESV
7 Posts
Mine came off the other day. Went to the parts store and picked up some special glue and repaired mine. Easy fix.

·
Registered
07 Escalade ESV
7 Posts
Mine came off the other day. Went to the parts store and picked up some special glue and repaired mine. Easy fix.
Well it was an easy fix, first time to try this out this past weekend, didn't work. Need to check fuses. :banghead:

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Great, another common issue to look forward to. The first Escalade we had (before it was replaced for a transmission issue) had these hanging when we got it and we thought the last owner carelessly broke them. I guess they just come off.

I remember when we had that truck I looked into fixes and found a kit online that requires you to sand down the old attachment point, clean the contact tab, apply a special conductive glue and then put them back in place. They DON'T just glue back on because they won't make a good conductive connection once the stuff rips off.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,036 Posts
The dealer just fixed mine for the 6th time. and wanted to charge me. This is with the extended warranty. I told him to go F himself.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
90 Posts
Call a glass shop. I know ford used to sell the glue, I had to buy it for an old thunderbird I drove. Its a glue/paint with metallic in it, which makes it conductive. I have also used the type to fix the circuits in the older style if they were scratched or cut. Its something that you should be able to do yourself and it beats trying to solder it which can be tricky if you dont know what you are doing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts