Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed that when I turned the radio down my rear Center speaker under the arm test was making a static like snow sound. The speaker still played but when the volume is down its really irritating. I turned the car off and it continued for about 10 to 15 seconds then went off. I turned it back on and problem continued. What could it possibly be.

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No thought or ideas. It's driving me nuts.. I was thinking about unplugging it but I want to fix it

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
Someone had posted about the same thing happening with their seat tweeters. I don't have the 15 speaker bose system so I can't really offer any help.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Pull the radio fuse. Any power supply capacitors should drain within a few hours, but I recommend waiting overnight, the restore the fuse.

If power-cycling the radio in this way clears the issue, it may have just been a fluke or the issue may soon return. I do believe the speaker you reference is powered by the head-end, so replacing that may be the only permanent solution. Please seek more members' points of view. My wife & I have had very little trouble in the six-plus years we've had our 2 cars.

The reason power-cycling systems on the STS requires physically removing power is that virtually all switches are virtual and merely send instructions to devices in standby to power up or shut down. Fuses are usually easier than completely disconnecting system or subsystem.

If all else fails, disconnecting the car battery also cures a lot of temporary ills, too. The wait for module power supply caps to discharge can be eliminated by touching the disconnected cable together.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
If I'm not mistaken I believe all the speakers, with the exception of the rear deck subwoofer and the front door speakers, are powered by the main amplifier in the trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correct all sounds including turn signal clicks go thru the amp on drivers side in trunk. We had same issue started with center speaker (15 bose) then lost all radio and system personalization error when trying to adjust nav and seat adjustments all from an amp going bad. Bought one online for $100 or so from an 08 that matched connections now its all gravy. U can just unplug the speaker pop off the plastic and disconnect the wires that one speaker wont make a huge difference with the sound.

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I wake up this morning and decide to drive the sts today cause I hadn't driven it in a few days and I notice the rear Center speaker isn't cracking or making the fuzzy sound. Then I notice I can actually hear the speakers in the seat really really good. So I put my ear to the rear Center speaker and it's not playing at all. Then I realize that the rear door speakers aren't either. The subs still playing and front deck speakers are playing along with the subs in the front doors also. The rear deck speakers I don't know I can't get my ear close enough to tell. I'll remove the headrest later to see, but could this be a channel failure on the amp in the trunk? Please anyone help me solve this.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
To me it sounds like you have a failing amp.

Seeing how you mention having seat speakers and your auto line states a 07 1SG you have the 15 speaker nav system which Curt is correct about.

The major amp in the trunk powers all speakers other than the "lows" which includes the front door pancake woofers and the rear deck pancake sub.

Those 3 have their own separate amp powering them which is mounted to the speaker itself.

Amp can be had pretty cheap second hand, I would go there after checking the connections at the amp for corrosion and maybe applying some dielectric grease.

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To me it sounds like a channel gave out because the front dash speakers work along with the front Center speaker. I thought about trying the amp first but I wanted a few opinions before I threw some money into it.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
Though highly unlikely the speaker (if that's the only one effected) could be blown. The only speaker which is the exact same size is the center dash speaker. You can use any speaker to test it though and if you wanted an aftermarket replacement any 3.5 speaker will fit, HOWEVER due to its low independence (2 ohms last I measured) youll need a 2 ohm speaker or else sound output from the speaker will not be as great with say a standard 4 ohm speaker (think greater ohm more resistance so say the amp puts out 50 watts at 2 ohms the speaker will only get 25 watts of useable power due to the 4 ohm load). Infinity Kappa and newer Reference are the ONLY ones that come to mind that run a 2 ohm load.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would start by checking the connections, costs nothing but your time.

If you're near by Calgary, Alberta, I have a few amplifiers for the surround system, it takes 5-10 minutes to swap the amp out if you want to try that.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Disconnecting the back arm rest speaker will not make much difference in your overall sound, but in my 2009 STS is was the speaker that chirped when backing up. The indicator lights in the rear headrest will of course let you know your distance from an object, but you will not get the audible warning..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts