Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 XTS AWD - Black inside and out
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help quick... 2003 DTS rear brake caliper piston. Do these screw in or push in??. I tried the C clamp, but it isnt moving.

thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
They screw back into the caliper. Either a special block with tangs or work carefully with needlenose or what have you............

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..the needle nose pliers worked wonderfully....Easy to turn in...much easier than pushing it in... I also lined up the notch on the pad to fit in the groove in the piston....was I supposed to do that?

On a side note, the other side I couldn't get one of the lug nuts off, I cracked the lug wrench that came with the car..I had an impact wrench that wouldn't even budge it.. Had to go to car-x for them to do the passenger side. I didnt want to spend any more time on brakes...If the bolt would break, I didnt want to mess with it... $68.00 ohh well. I tried..

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,559 Posts
Thanks..the needle nose pliers worked wonderfully....Easy to turn in...much easier than pushing it in... I also lined up the notch on the pad to fit in the groove in the piston....was I supposed to do that?

On a side note, the other side I couldn't get one of the lug nuts off, I cracked the lug wrench that came with the car..I had an impact wrench that wouldn't even budge it.. Had to go to car-x for them to do the passenger side. I didnt want to spend any more time on brakes...If the bolt would break, I didnt want to mess with it... $68.00 ohh well. I tried..
Yes. The piston notches should be at 6:00 and 12:00. Good thinking. I don't think that most people think of that without a FSM.

·
Administrator
71,064 Posts
skippy, Do yourself a favor and buy a proper sized 4-way lug wrench and store it in the trunk.

Also, either you or a wrencher friend make sure all the lug nuts are torqued in a star pattern crisscross to 100 ft/lb.

For your car, carry the tires at 33 psi, cold. DO NOT bleed tires to pressure if they're anything other than cold.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Car-X across the street was willing to use my parts and do the job for that one wheel. Their impact wrench worked to remove the one lugnut. The one I had must have been too old. Do they lose power with age?
I have a feeling that was where my pedal pulse was coming from....Somebody cranked that one lug too much and warped the rotor. just my guess.

Yea I am going to pick up a 4 way lug nut wrench tomorrow... I looked today and they make three lenghts.
Do I get the short one so it is easier to jack the car up? The way the jack cranks, there isn't much ground clearance when spinning if you understand what I mean..
Do I get the long one for better torque?

I now have new rotors and pads all around...The car brakes like I am riding on air....It is amazing..

Submarine,
funny you mention about proper air pressure... You say 33 PSI is a good pressure for summer driving?
I got a DIC message saying something about not to exceed 90MPH. One of my tires was at 41 psi.. two were at 40 psi after driving. I did bleed them while they were hot, Not good?? I set them to 37 psi hot. One tire was at 33psi..(I need to get that looked at, it was always loosing air..)

Guys, I have more questions. What do the notches in the pads do? What if they were lines up incorrectly? I heard it had something to do with the E brake, but what?
Thanks for all the info.. I couldn't find it in a serch for my year and model.

·
Administrator
71,064 Posts
When you set the emergency brake it uses a ratchet/screw arrangement to rotate the puck in order to take up any slack between the rear pads and rotors, thus keeping the parking brake/cable travel about the same over the pad life. Similar to the ratchet on the cylinder in a drum parking brake setup.

I use 33 psi as an all-around comfort/handling pressure. If I set out specifically to do one of my insane rural road runs, I kick it up to 38 psi. The sidewall pressure indicates the max COLD inflation pressure - the pressure rise with road temperatures is already factored into recommended COLD pressures.

I know of no reason why unequal pressures would trigger a stability/wheel speed DTC/fault. That has something to do with suspension faults or significant wheel speed variance. Pull your DTC's from the instrument panel. The technique is in Cadillac Technical Discussion, Technical Tips, sticky for codes on later Seville/Deville. I was seriuous about torqueing the lug nuts - it makes a real difference in ride smoothness and rotor wear.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,559 Posts
The Car-X across the street was willing to use my parts and do the job for that one wheel. Their impact wrench worked to remove the one lugnut. The one I had must have been too old. Do they lose power with age?
Impact wrenches come in different max torque outputs. They don't loose power with age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts