Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know the rear brake pad thickness on the 03 cts with fe3? I just put on new rotors and pads all the way around and the rears are constantly rubbing now. The rear pads I put on are 15.4mm thick according to advance auto parts with a part number of pxd922h. The other pads they have are 13.1 mm thick and a part number of pxd922ah. I believe I have the wrong thickness of the pad which I'll be swapping out tomorrow but was curious if anyone has an answer for this.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
Pad thickness won't make a difference on pads. The JE2 is ceramic brake pads where as JE1 or the base brakes are semi metallic.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pad thickness won't make a difference on pads. The JE2 is ceramic brake pads where as JE1 or the base brakes are semi metallic.
If thickness doesn't matter, why is there two different thicknesses?

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
One is probably ceramic and one is semi metallic. Besides the thicker ones would be just as thin in 5,000 miles. Auto part stores are always correct. Just like autozones front strut mount for the CTS.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One is probably ceramic and one is semi metallic. Besides the thicker ones would be just as thin in 5,000 miles. Auto part stores are always correct. Just like autozones front strut mount for the CTS.
Well I'm dealing with these pads rubbing constantly and I'm not saying they're correct but they're both ceramic pads but different thicknesses and they have no explanation for the difference.

----------

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-wearever-platinum-professional-ceramic-brake-pads-rear-4-pad-set-pxd922ah/10146133-P?searchTerm=rear+brake#fragment-2
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-wearever-platinum-professional-ceramic-brake-pads-rear-4-pad-set-pxd922h/10146182-P?searchTerm=rear+brake
Here are the links to both sets of pads. I have the 15.4mm thickness pads on

----------

·
Registered
2003 CTS
147 Posts
Have you checked the push pins. Mine were seized and I had to remove them , sand off all the rust and drill out the holes to clean them out . reinstalled with new grease and now quiet.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked the push pins. Mine were seized and I had to remove them , sand off all the rust and drill out the holes to clean them out . reinstalled with new grease and now quiet.
The slider pins are functioning correctly. I regreased them as well.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be swapping out the pads today for the other size pads once they arrive. If this continues to happen I know I have issues with both calipers. I'll update later in the day after I do the swap. I called cadillac and they couldn't give me a size and they agree with making the swap.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
147 Posts
I just heard your video. You think its coming from the rear... But when I changed my front rotors I had that same sound. Turns out the new rotors were scraping on the inner dust shield. I had to remove the new rotors and bend the dust shield in with a rubber malet untill the rotor didn't rub anymore . it sounded exactly like your video.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just heard your video. You think its coming from the rear... But when I changed my front rotors I had that same sound. Turns out the new rotors were scraping on the inner dust shield. I had to remove the new rotors and bend the dust shield in with a rubber malet untill the rotor didn't rub anymore . it sounded exactly like your video.
I'll check the fronts out but I know the rears are getting hung up somehow. I swapped pads and still rubbing. The new clips I got from autozone may be the culprit. When I spin the rears while jacked up I can hear and see the pads hitting the rotor. I don't notice any noise at all from the front but I'll double check.

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
I wouldn't mess with that, guide pins are usually coated, if they are rusted there is no way around replacing them with new pins and I wouldn't drill into the caliper bracket. At most wire brush and sand with a very with a very fine sanding bit on a Dremel.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't mess with that, guide pins are usually coated, if they are rusted there is no way around replacing them with new pins and I wouldn't drill into the caliper bracket. At most wire brush and sand with a very with a very fine sanding bit on a Dremel.
I'm going to remove the new clips in the caliper bracket and wire brush those spots to gain some clearance and remove old rust,and whatever else may be there. I'm not messing with the guide pins they're working properly.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cleaned up all the caliper brackets with a wire wheel allowing the pads to move easier and still rubbing and nothing is touching the rotors other than the pads.

Attachments

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,804 Posts
I am wondering if both calipers just shit the bed at the same time. When I did my brakes a few months ago, my front passenger caliper was sticking afterwards.

KOT

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am wondering if both calipers just shit the bed at the same time. When I did my brakes a few months ago, my front passenger caliper was sticking afterwards.

KOT
It would be strange if they both did just like that. But they both retract easily and I'm just gonna drive it for a few days as is and see if anything changes. I'm gonna check the Temps of the rims on both sides by hand directly after driving. Maybe then I can figure out if it's definitely a caliper or just the pads seating with the new rotors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts