Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2003 DeVille which I am going to replace the rear brake pads, calipers and rotors. Is there an easy way to remove the park brake cable from the caliper? And how about the re-installation? :bonkers:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,500 Posts
Use either the GM/Helm service manual or www.alldatadiy.com.

There is a set of steps to go through for releasing the parking brake cable retainers.

Basically you disconnect the cable from the secondary (main) cable from the pedal in order to slack it off, then trip the cable housing lock fingers at the caliper bracket and remove the housing and cable tip from the caliper.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
I've done both and they are a pain in the butt to get them disconnected if they are rusty at all.

This is from my Seville, below, the cable in question is the one in the upper right with the long coil (spring looking thing) on it. That's gotta come out and it doesn't like to move very much.

Both were a pain in the butt, because of the spring that is around the cable. You'll need to find a way to pull the cable out to get some "slack" so you can then twist it out through the bracket. Or remove the "fat" part of the cable behind the spring and then you can twist out the end of it pretty easily.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks iametarq. I found that out yesterday when trying to do just the drivers side. I was so mad. It shouldn't take that long. Figured I'd ask the forums to see what it was that I was missing. I have done many brakes before on other vehicles and have never had such a issue. I will check it out submariner409 thanks for the link. My son is currently a submariner down in Kingsbay, GA. He is a Nuke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts