Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Srx Awd
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 srx and the rear brake caliper is sticking. We ordered the part but I have a question. Can the stuck caliper cause the rpms to go up when accelerating? I did not have this problem before the rear brakes were changed.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,148 Posts
In theory, it could. If the slide pin cannot move, it might keep the brake pads against the rotor. This would mean that effectively you are accelerating with the brakes applied, which would require a lot more power. To compensate you are likely to push the accelerator harder. If this is the problem, it is pretty easy to fix. Unbolt the pins from the caliper and take them out completely. Make sure you don't damage the rubber parts. You have already bought replacements, but most of the time you can clean the pins thoroughly, light sanding if needed and apply brake grease (only!) liberally around the pin. Re-insert the pin and make sure you put the correct pin in the correct hole. One of them (I think the top one) has a rubber tip. This is a pretty common issue on the SRX.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
Heat gun is your friend, go for a drive and then check temps and see if it is dragging.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,148 Posts
Maybe someone can find out for sure, but the SRX doesn't use pins with bushings at the rear. Looking at different online parts suppliers, the pins for the rear look identical while the front ones have one with bushing and one without.

·
Registered
SRX'05 4.6L
235 Posts
Yes, only the fronts have the bushing. Was just replacing front pads and couldn't figure out if it goes on top or the bottom hole, it fits in both.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
From the SM-
Important: The upper caliper guide pin has a bushing as part of the pin guide. The lower caliper guide pin is of a solid design.

Reactions: Tiger1106
1 - 9 of 9 Posts