Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone hip on troubleshooting rear axles? There is so many good technical people here and tons of experience, I was hoping someone can help.

Mine ran low on fluid, and this is a picture with some marking dye to see what the wear pattern is.

Anyone see more than I can?

My thoughts are in reverse it is ok, (see the pattern at the bottom of the ring gear) and the wear forward, at the top of the ring, is to the outside of the tooth.

Am I reading it right? Is this something that I can reshim or am I just time for a new R&P? It is a 8.5" 10 bolt.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
To be honest, setting up a rear "properly" is a pain so over the years, I leave them alone unless they're making noise. I've built and rebuilt several over the years but can't honestly tell you much about wear patterns. If you want a little info on them, check your service manual. There's a section that shows wear patterns and explains them.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of mine are drawings, and I didn't get a good feel for what I was looking at.

It was howling, enough that I couldn't hear the horn honk while I was driving. It did drown out the kids pretty well though....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts