Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 escalde
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys so I have a 2006 escalde I had the air bags replaces with new shocks and new air compressor but the rear is still riding low. Every time I start up the car I can hear the air compressor working and a fee pips from the back as of the shocks want to rise up. Does anybody have any idea what could be the reason for not rising? Maybe need new hoses? Thanks for any advice in advance.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,813 Posts
The car does not have air ride or bags. It has Electronic Level Control using adjustable height rear shocks, air lines, compressor/control head and height sensor(s). Something is wrong with the system - have a large parts store scan the car for trouble codes and see if there's a compressor fault.

The compressor should run for 2 -3 seconds about 8 seconds after Key: ON to do a preload and proveout. If loads in the rear and rear seat do not then change, the compressor should not run again during that drive cycle. You load 6 bags of mulch, yes, the car levels itself.

Get 3 assistants. Open the gate. Turn the Key: ON and listen for the proveout. OK ? Everyone hop into the rear. The compressor (key still on) should level the car. OK ? All hop off and you listen for escaping air in the rear as the car levels itself. OK ???? If not, you have system problems.

I moved your thread from Discussions - you'll get far more Escalade feedback here. Welcome Aboard !!! :highfive:

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I would check the system for leaks
You will need soapy water in a spray bottle to do this

Soak the rear shock bladders(it's a hybrid gas/air shock setup) if you see bubbles when the rear of the truck is worked up and down then the shocks are bad

The compressor likely is due to the valve solenoid being bad that lets the air out of the shocks
You will get the service ride control message in the driver's info center and the compressor will not run(the active damping feature will still work)

If your getting the service ride control message the system will have codes but you will need a tech-2 or mdi unit to pull the codes

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Escalade
1 Posts
I have a 2004 Escalade with ~170K miles and have the same issue. This is common and understandable for a number of reasons. As the car gets older, the springs start to sag, so the air system runs more often. Also, the bags that are wrapped around the shocks start to tear because the are made of rubber which begins to deteriorate and leak air, so this causes the air compressor to run non-stop and sometimes kill it.

If you had new air shocks and a new compressor installed, and you can hear the system running, then stop, it is working properly. If the system runs constantly, then you will want to have your ride height sensor reset to your new ride height. The airbags on the shocks aren't going to raise your car a noticeable amount, because they are only designed to be helper bags. If you feel like your Slade rides a little low, then you may want to invest in a set of new springs. You can adjust the front torsion rods a bit with a simple turn of a wrench. That will get you back to stock ride height.

I have done this on many cars in the past, and plan to do it to mine at around 200K. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
wemitchell3 said:
I have a 2004 Escalade with ~170K miles and have the same issue. This is common and understandable for a number of reasons. As the car gets older, the springs start to sag, so the air system runs more often. Also, the bags that are wrapped around the shocks start to tear because the are made of rubber which begins to deteriorate and leak air, so this causes the air compressor to run non-stop and sometimes kill it. If you had new air shocks and a new compressor installed, and you can hear the system running, then stop, it is working properly. If the system runs constantly, then you will want to have your ride height sensor reset to your new ride height. The airbags on the shocks aren't going to raise your car a noticeable amount, because they are only designed to be helper bags. If you feel like your Slade rides a little low, then you may want to invest in a set of new springs. You can adjust the front torsion rods a bit with a simple turn of a wrench. That will get you back to stock ride height. I have done this on many cars in the past, and plan to do it to mine at around 200K. Hope this helps a little.
I haven't had to adjust mine and I have over 200k miles
Though I need new shocks bad

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,854 Posts
Yeah check for leaks, I've installed these compressors new and found leaks between the compressor and dryer, also it was stated that if there was a problem the compressor will continue to run, actually the system has a failsafe so while the compressor is running and it does not see a change in feedback from the sensors stating the vehicle is lifting it will shut off after only a few seconds, also if your spring are fatigued and your leveling system is working it will lift back to stock height, so your issue should definitely be with the leveling system

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
wesyder said:
Yeah check for leaks, I've installed these compressors new and found leaks between the compressor and dryer, also it was stated that if there was a problem the compressor will continue to run, actually the system has a failsafe so while the compressor is running and it does not see a change in feedback from the sensors stating the vehicle is lifting it will shut off after only a few seconds, also if your spring are fatigued and your leveling system is working it will lift back to stock height, so your issue should definitely be with the leveling system
The system also monitors the temp of the compressor
It also will shut off if the pressure sensor doesn't detect a change in a set time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts