Cadillac Owners Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CT6
6 Posts
Look on the driver's door for the original tire size. It will VERY CLEARLY state 17 or 18 inch wheels. If the tire size does not match the door panel, then the wheels are NOT original.

These is NO SUCH THING as a better performance engine on these cars. They ahh had the same de-tuned NorthStar (about 275HP), whereas my 2009 STS Platinum has a 320HP / 330 Torque RWD engine.

That fuel door is a mess. The driver's door does not look much better. The carper on the driver side needs top be replaced.
You're comment regarding no such thing as a better engine in the DTS is incorrect. There are differences in available engines for the DTS. The base V8, Luxury I and II models have 275 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque but the performance model mentioned in this thread has 292 HP and 288 lb-ft of torque.

You're also incorrect about the STS engine, I had an 07 STS V8 which is how I immediately knew your comment was incorrect. The V8 STS has 320 hp and 315 lb-ft of torque not 330.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
4 Posts
I'm sure that you know that 2006 was a model change over year for the DTS.

My early model year 2006 DTS had a few problems that were probably fixed by GM later or perhaps under warranty when new.

Specifically, the alternator is weak. I paid for the initial battery replacement (Autozone) because I didn't think it was covered by the warranty. Several batteries later I found that it was a weak alternator. This is a pricey item with substantial shop time cost.

Later a highly recommended mechanic checked out a small issue and had a reasonable fee. The car made a barely audible noise when going around curves at 15 mph with the windows down.
He told me my wheel bearing needed replacing. So, $500 later, he said it was still making the same noise and he would replace it with a second new wheel bearing no charge. So, I said go ahead. Unfortunately the noise persisted.

I now believe the noise was from the steering linkage...

So, lesson people make mistakes and it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep in mind, that due to Covid, dealers are not allowed at the auction. They are buying vehicles blind, they do not know what they have until it is delivered.
I have a dealers license the local Adesa auction allows in person viewing, and have detailed photos available on their website. I would never buy a vehicle blind, especially from auction.

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,735 Posts
You're comment regarding no such thing as a better engine in the DTS is incorrect. There are differences in available engines for the DTS. The base V8, Luxury I and II models have 275 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque but the performance model mentioned in this thread has 292 HP and 288 lb-ft of torque.

You're also incorrect about the STS engine, I had an 07 STS V8 which is how I immediately knew your comment was incorrect. The V8 STS has 320 hp and 315 lb-ft of torque not 330.
Well throw me in a briar patch...

The DTS performance numbers are actually:

Used 2006 Cadillac DTS Performance Specs & Features
Engine
CylindersV8
Horsepower291 hp @ 5600 rpm
Torque286 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

But who caes, it's still less than the 1995-2002 or so ElDorado and Seville touring eds and even the 2000-05 DeVille DTS with 300HP. My point is they de-tuned it for the 2006 and later DTS, while the RWD NorthStar in the STS was actually increased in HP and torque.

Reactions: Omac

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium
140 Posts

But who caes, it's still less than the 1995-2002 or so ElDorado and Seville touring eds and even the 2000-05 DeVille DTS with 300HP. My point is they de-tuned it for the 2006 and later DTS, while the RWD NorthStar in the STS was actually increased in HP and torque.
Don't forget that they changed the way that horsepower and torque figures are calculated for model year 2006 and beyond. Compare a model year 2005 something with a model year 2006 something of the same generation, (Lexus LS, for example) and you'll see that the numbers in the 2006 are slightly more conservative. I seriously doubt that they "de-tuned" anything. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual figures between the 2005 Deville and the 2006 DTS are identical.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum
499 Posts
I believe before 2000 it required premium fuel.
The RWD engines have variable valve timing and less restrictive exhaust.

·
Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
349 Posts
I believe before 2000 it required premium fuel.
The RWD engines have variable valve timing and less restrictive exhaust.
I recall the regular V8 engines required premium like a 1995 DeVille my mother had. Later Eldorado's like a 1995 I had which had the Northstar did not require premium although it may have been recommended.

Well throw me in a briar patch...

The DTS performance numbers are actually:

Used 2006 Cadillac DTS Performance Specs & Features
Engine
CylindersV8
Horsepower291 hp @ 5600 rpm
Torque286 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

The "detuning" if it was done does not necessarily make the car that much slower. As I recall, the 1995 Eldorado ESC model I had put out more torque in the lower ranges than the ETC version so from a stop, the ESC was snappier. Reviews at that time mentioned the difference. The 2009 DTS I have seems just as quick as the older Eldorado's I had and if there is less horsepower, it's not noticeable. I wonder if different transmissions were used with the older Eldorado's and Devilles compared to the later DTS.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum
499 Posts
IIRC, the DTS and DTS Performance were tested with about the same 0-60 time, but the latter feels more responsive because of the lower gearing. Unlike newer 6 to 10 speed cars, you don't have to wait for a downshift to get somewhere quicker.

·
Registered
2011 DTS
15 Posts
Use a flat head screw driver and carefully pry open the pinch weld enough to get plyers on it and bend them back to as close to straight as possible. The fenders go back into place. If bare metal or rust treat and paint.
Seriously, it's that easy?! I'm certainly willing to give it a try! When I bought the car the body and interior were as perfect as one could hope to find in a used car (with approx. 57,000 miles on the clock,) and this bit of damage has been bugging me for too long. Thanks for that, it's now on my to do list for the weekend.

·
Premium Member
2007 DTS Lux II, 2009 Escalade 6.2L.
266 Posts
I hope it gives you many miles, but the red flags you illustrated would of had me about a mile down the street before the guy came back with keys to ask
Me to take it for a ride. Well all be here in case you are in need 👍👍👍

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,757 Posts
Seriously, it's that easy?! I'm certainly willing to give it a try! When I bought the car the body and interior were as perfect as one could hope to find in a used car (with approx. 57,000 miles on the clock,) and this bit of damage has been bugging me for too long. Thanks for that, it's now on my to do list for the weekend.
Hope it's a easy fix.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I recall the regular V8 engines required premium like a 1995 DeVille my mother had. Later Eldorado's like a 1995 I had which had the Northstar did not require premium although it may have been recommended.

The "detuning" if it was done does not necessarily make the car that much slower. As I recall, the 1995 Eldorado ESC model I had put out more torque in the lower ranges than the ETC version so from a stop, the ESC was snappier. Reviews at that time mentioned the difference. The 2009 DTS I have seems just as quick as the older Eldorado's I had and if there is less horsepower, it's not noticeable. I wonder if different transmissions were used with the older Eldorado's and Devilles compared to the later DTS.

1999 and earlier NorthStars required premium fuel. 2000 and later did not. Timing tech and knock sensors allowed this and it really helped my wallet. Interestingly the 1993-1996 LT1 engines Fleetwoods could make full power on regular fuel, an advantage of the opti spark distributor...

The ESC and SLS were NOT snappier off the line than the ETC or STS. The ETC and STS has a higher final drive gear ratio and this more than compensated foe the slightly lower torque in the 295b (later 300) HP ETC and STS Engines engines.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Don't forget that they changed the way that horsepower and torque figures are calculated for model year 2006 and beyond. Compare a model year 2005 something with a model year 2006 something of the same generation, (Lexus LS, for example) and you'll see that the numbers in the 2006 are slightly more conservative. I seriously doubt that they "de-tuned" anything. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual figures between the 2005 Deville and the 2006 DTS are identical.
In that case my 2009 STS NorthStar Platinum Ed must have really been off the charts. I miss that car, but not the citations that came with it...

·
Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
349 Posts
1999 and earlier NorthStars required premium fuel. 2000 and later did not. Timing tech and knock sensors allowed this and it really helped my wallet. Interestingly the 1993-1996 LT1 engines Fleetwoods could make full power on regular fuel, an advantage of the opti spark distributor...

The ESC and SLS were NOT snappier off the line than the ETC or STS. The ETC and STS has a higher final drive gear ratio and this more than compensated foe the slightly lower torque in the 295b (later 300) HP ETC and STS Engines engines.
I recall a review that mentioned that the lower horsepower 275 with higher torque was a bit snappier from a stop and from my experience then, it didn't seem correct. Since I had three Eldorados, two with the higher horsepower, I couldn't feel a big difference but then I never drove them with a lead foot. I really liked the look of the two door coupe and almost bought a STS in 2000 but ended up getting another Eldorado.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,757 Posts
Sadly, turns out it's not. The damage to my pinch weld is extensive and no screw driver or pliers is going to do the trick. Sigh
Sorry to hear. Some idiot lifted the car wrong and now you have to pay for it.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Performance Coupe
78 Posts
A dealership close to me has a great deal on a 2006 DTS Performance
I had a friend who bought one of these vehicles with the supercharged performance engines it was a beautiful super fast vehicle but he ended up trading it in due to the super-high fuel consumption for a GMC Texas edition Truck. You may want to consider your options due to rising fuel unpredictability

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,904 Posts
There is/was no such thing as a factory supercharged/turbocharged FWD Northstar Deville, DTS, Seville, or Eldorado.

Any of the FWD Northstar vehicles is capable of 11 - 16 mpg in city driving and 24 - 28 mpg open road. Depending on model and year group the engines were rated for 87 octane or 91/93 octane fuels.

The GMC is rated at 21 - 22 combined.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts