Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
Here is the window sticker, pretty good list of features. How come it doesn't specifically mention the "performance" package though? View attachment 604741
Keep in mind that that is not an exact window sticker. It’s an aftermarket one created. The one I posted previously for my 08 is the same. The original for my 07 is much different.

8th character of the vin will tell you. 9 or Y. 9 is the performance drivetrain.

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
I like that window sticker reproduction for your 08’ DTS. Also the color is awesome.
Thanks. It not a true reproduction but it works.

At first, I kind of balked on the color a bit, until I saw it. I had been looking for a nice fairly low mileage DTS to replace the red one. Still have not been able to turn loose of the red one yet, however.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
467 Posts
Performance Edition came with upgraded 18’ wheels. It would be nice to have access the RPO sticker so you can see what options the car was built with.
Your attached photo is labeled as a DTS Performance wheel, but you can see the R17 on the tire, so it isn't. It looks like the chromed version of the standard 06 DTS machined wheel.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Your window sticker says it had a “ sunroof” option. I don’t see a sunroof in the pics?
It does, there's a photo including the sunroof I just did not post it.
Keep in mind that that is not an exact window sticker. It’s an aftermarket one created. The one I posted previously for my 08 is the same. The original for my 07 is much different.

8th character of the vin will tell you. 9 or Y. 9 is the performance drivetrain.
8th Character is in fact a 9. It does say performance transmission and magnetic ride on it.
Your attached photo is labeled as a DTS Performance wheel, but you can see the R17 on the tire, so it isn't. It looks like the chromed version of the standard 06 DTS machined wheel.
Yes the wheels are definitely changed for some reason, but the car has been verified to be the performance edition. Not sure why the wheels would be swapped, on my old deville though I swapped mine out after a flat tire ruined one of them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Some of the better handling may be because of the 20” wheel tire combo I have.
GASP. You took those beautiful wheels off for something even harder riding?
What did you do with them?
With 18", my DTS will easily outhandle my nerve.

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
Yes the wheels are definitely changed for some reason, but the car has been verified to be the performance edition. Not sure why the wheels would be swapped, on my old deville though I swapped mine out after a flat tire ruined one of them.

Chrome wheels from that era were bad about developing corrosion on the sealing surfaces and causing leaks. I’ve fought the issue on one of mine on my 07. It’s hard to find a decent single to replace one.

Could have had curb damage abs the owner elected to swap.

Someone could have had aftermarket rims and decided to put oem Cadillac wheels back on it and that’s as close as he could come.

FWIW. I swapped mine shortly after I bought it last year. Not everyone’s cup of tea, and the 18”s are put up in case I need to swap back.

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
GASP. You took those beautiful wheels off for something even harder riding?
What did you do with them?
With 18", my DTS will easily outhandle my nerve.
I swapped the originals off of this one also.

My 07 DTS may be the only car I’ve owned in the last 40 years that kept the original wheels on it for any length of time.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So let's say mechanic comes back and says
Pre 08s had some electrical harness/fuse-block issues. My 07 never has had the issue.

My performance vs my luxury.

The final drive ratio of the Performance models is lower. At 2200 rpm my 07Lux is running 81mph, my 08Perf is running 67mph. Both speedometers read about 1 mpg low against a GPS. While there is slightly more Horsepower in the performance tuning, the gear ratio provides the majority of the performance increase.

Because of the gear ratio, my performance gets right at 2 mpg less than the other on mostly highway. 23.2 vs 21.2 on very similar trips running mostly 75-85 mph. In town is harder to compare, but I believe the performance is slightly lower there also.

Active suspension struts and shock are considerably more. The ride on my performance is better and much more stable at speed. But it has 150k less miles on it. The struts and shock on my 07 only have about 75-100k on them.

My performance handles much better also. It’s more planted with less body roll. Some of the better handling may be because of the 20” wheel tire combo I have. I didn’t drive it but a few miles with the 18”s because the tires were junk.

The factory navigation vs radio is a wash because the tech is so outdated, but the Bose upgrade is nice. Neither of mine have factory navigation, but my 2012 Escalade does and it SUCKS. Not the maps, but the tech is old and does have traffic. I may put an aftermarket floating display in my performance. But for now I use an iPad mini in all 3 vehicles.

The rear sunshade is pretty cool, until I tinted the windows and now it is just a novelty.

The seat massagers are cool. And I was surprised they are on the back seats also.

Adaptive cruise is nice, including the braking feature. I wish I could shorten the spacing slightly.

Lane departure does not work on mine, so I can’t comment on it. Camera swap did not fix it.

Rain sensing wipers are cool.

I hope I never have to replace the windshield in the performance model.
So my choices right now have been narrowed between 2 DTSs. One being this one, which obviously is $4995 with all options listed in the sticker I posted. The other is a 2007 DTS with heated seats/wheel, but no bose, ACC, no performance upgrades, no massage, and no navigation radio. It has 103k miles and is IMMACULATELY clean. Owner took real good care of it, but he won't take a penny less than $5350. Which one do you think is the better choice? (Provided the mechanic says the performance model is all good.)

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
So let's say mechanic comes back and says

So my choices right now have been narrowed between 2 DTSs. One being this one, which obviously is $4995 with all options listed in the sticker I posted. The other is a 2007 DTS with heated seats/wheel, but no bose, ACC, no performance upgrades, no massage, and no navigation radio. It has 103k miles and is IMMACULATELY clean. Owner took real good care of it, but he won't take a penny less than $5350. Which one do you think is the better choice? (Provided the mechanic says the performance model is all good.)
Of those two, I would take the 07

“IMMACULANTELY clean” and it sounds like you might be dealing with the owner and have a better idea of the history. Whichever one smiles back at you the most.

CarFax it regardless.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Of those two, I would take the 07

“IMMACULANTELY clean” and it sounds like you might be dealing with the owner and have a better idea of the history. Whichever one smiles back at you the most.

CarFax it regardless.
Definitely planning on carfaxing, but I will admit I'm partial to the additional features of the '06. ACC, magride, bose speakers, etc. Plus it would be cheaper, you think even if I could walk out with the '06 for $4500 it's not worth it?

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
Definitely planning on carfaxing, but I will admit I'm partial to the additional features of the '06. ACC, magride, bose speakers, etc. Plus it would be cheaper, you think even if I could walk out with the '06 for $4500 it's not worth it?
I get it. But I’m thinking longer term costs of driving it 100k. Cost of extra gasoline and higher maintenance costs when you go to swap the shocks or struts. I’ve had to do it on my 07 and my Escalade. Previous owner did on my 08.
There also seem to be more suspicions on the 06. The Bose upgrade is nice between my two, but you know my opinion of the Navigation.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I get it. But I’m thinking longer term costs of driving it 100k. Cost of extra gasoline and higher maintenance costs when you go to swap the shocks or struts. I’ve had to do it on my 07 and my Escalade. Previous owner did on my 08.
There also seem to be more suspicions on the 06. The Bose upgrade is nice between my two, but you know my opinion of the Navigation.
For sure, and what you say makes total sense. I wonder if there's a good oem-type speaker upgrade for the DTS to get a similar bose sound? The navigation would be nice, even if outdated. I simply think the display is very nice to, makes the car look more updated. And I believe you can replace both the regular shocks and Maggie shocks with traditional ones correct? So replacements could potentially be the same regardless?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would never have leather upholstery without cooled seats, but I seem to sweat all over more than most men (can't wear synthetic fabric). As stated above, you'll take a 2+ mpg hit, but the throttle response is so much better. My 04 base Deville was really lazy, until you floored it and it downshifted.

My MRC car came from Carmax with stiff, new Bridgestone tires which I hated for 30k miles and thought seriously of switching to 17" or even 16" wheels, so it doesn't surprise me if a previous owner did that to soften the ride a bit. It's definitely harder riding than the regular DTSs. Perhaps he swapped with another DTS owner who liked the 18" wheels. I'm too cheap to buy 4 new tires at once, much less 4 wheels.

I finally broke down and bought a pair of Michelins for the front despite loads of tread left, and it was bearable. Two years ago, put Continentals on the front, and the tar strips are barely noticeable.

·
Registered
467 Posts
And I believe you can replace both the regular shocks and Maggie shocks with traditional ones correct? So replacements could potentially be the same regardless?
From what I've read here, that's true, but the Performance springs are stiffer, so you have to change them too if you switch to regular passive shocks, and of course, you have to do both sides at once (some say front and rear, too), so it adds up to similar $ as replacing one bad MRC strut. People say the cheap spring/strut kit does not ride well.

You may have already read here about the water pump tensioner pulley problem causing expensive pump failure. If you don't have proof the pulley has been replaced in the last few years, go on and do it. $25 part saves a $1200 repair.

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
For sure, and what you say makes total sense. I wonder if there's a good oem-type speaker upgrade for the DTS to get a similar bose sound? The navigation would be nice, even if outdated. I simply think the display is very nice to, makes the car look more updated. And I believe you can replace both the regular shocks and Maggie shocks with traditional ones correct? So replacements could potentially be the same regardless?
Good points. Yes, I understand standard ones can be installed and resistors used to trick the system.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
From what I've read here, that's true, but the Performance springs are stiffer, so you have to change them too if you switch to regular passive shocks, and of course, you have to do both sides at once (some say front and rear, too), so it adds up to similar $ as replacing one bad MRC strut. People say the cheap spring/strut kit does not ride well.

You may have already read here about the water pump tensioner pulley problem causing expensive pump failure. If you don't have proof the pulley has been replaced in the last few years, go on and do it. $25 part saves a $1200 repair.
Great information, I had not read that yet. Thank you. Will absolutely do that. I also figured I'd put new spark plugs, oil, and brakes on it if I picked it up anyways just for the hell of it. And obviously a nice wash and wax.

·
Registered
2011 DTS
13 Posts
Your first choice: 2006 DTS Performance, I've noticed something familiar to me; the trailing edges of both front fenders bend out near the base. This is likely due to the pinch weld being crushed when someone jacked the car up. It happened to mine at a tire shop during a re-balance. The pinch weld runs below the rocker panel trim, from behind the front wheel to the back wheel on both sides. If you get on your hands and knees and look under the rocker panel you should see it; doesn't look like the rears got crushed. A body shop can fix it but could be pricey, I was quoted $2,000.00 to fix mine. Haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Your first choice: 2006 DTS Performance, I've noticed something familiar to me; the trailing edges of both front fenders bend out near the base. This is likely due to the pinch weld being crushed when someone jacked the car up. It happened to mine at a tire shop during a re-balance. The pinch weld runs below the rocker panel trim, from behind the front wheel to the back wheel on both sides. If you get on your hands and knees and look under the rocker panel you should see it; doesn't look like the rears got crushed. A body shop can fix it but could be pricey, I was quoted $2,000.00 to fix mine. Haven't done it yet.
Does this affect anything other than slight body panel misalignment?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts