Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dealership close to me has a great deal on a 2006 DTS Performance model (I don't think your every day car buyer appreciates this like I do, I love the quicker engine and transmission.) It has a better deal than anywhere else, but the dealership has a bunch of 2 star reviews from people claiming the vehicles broke down driving home and such. The car looks fine in the photos, no rust. Front Cadillac badge is gone on the grille? But it is loaded, exactly what I want and that's why I'm tempted. Performance edition, Bose stereo, adaptive cruise control, navigation, heated/cooled/massage seats. I have searched and there isn't another one in 500 miles.

It has 112k miles on it and the Dealer is asking $4995. I figured I could probably offer $4500 cash and walk out with it, but what am I getting into potentially? Carfax shows no accidents, 3 owners, driven in Kansas I believe. Previous owner had it since 62k miles.

Some things I have noticed: Front Cadillac grille badge gone (how I saw the adaptive cruise control.) Drivers seat carpet looks peeled out from the center? Seats are in meh shape. Potentially the driver's side front door and gas cap look to be off center a bit? Might be the car, but the photo sort of looks like it. I'm tempted, because otherwise I'm purchasing a 2007 with 104k for $5350 (without massage seats, ACC, bose stereo, and navigation, and performance engine.) Is this worth the risk? Or is this a dead car patched up for a sale most likely?

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive side marker light
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering wheel
Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Car

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,562 Posts
Caveat Emptor. Flood car? Hire a second-opinion inspection mechanic. Cheap term insurance.

If the car has night vision there's probably no grille emblem.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Caveat Emptor. Flood car? Hire a second-opinion inspection mechanic. Cheap term insurance.

If the car has night vision there's probably no grille emblem.
Oh really? It literally has EVERY option down the list. So it would make sense that it has night vision as well had no idea they took the emblem off for that. Any idea about the door panel? Is it just the angle of it?

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
13,458 Posts
Fuel door and front DS door are definitely out of alignment.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium
133 Posts
I'd take a look in person to see if those alignment issues mentioned (driver's door, fueling hatch) are optical illusions or not. The pictures are not detailed enough to be able to tell. The dealer probably just got a rash of bad stuff at auction, which is becoming the norm in this goofy economy, so this one needs to be evaluated on its own merits (or lack thereof). All of the marketing literature that I've ever seen for these shows the Cadillac emblem on the adaptive cruise control lens, so maybe this one has an aftermarket replacement.

Don't let the seller scare you off. Just treat it as a private party sale. Check for rust, scan for codes, pay somebody $60 to get it up on a lift and see if you can find anything by which to negotiate the price down. If the active suspension has been replaced with a passive system, that's a great place to start.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
467 Posts
My driver's door has been like that since I bought it in 2013, but I don't care, because it's black.
Those don't look like the straight-spoked Performance wheels, which should be 18", not the other model's 17".

·
Registered
467 Posts
Oh really? It literally has EVERY option down the list. So it would make sense that it has night vision as well had no idea they took the emblem off for that. Any idea about the door panel? Is it just the angle of it?
The last Deville had the nightvision option, the 06+ DTS didn't. ACC cars have a plastic front crest with a sensor behind it. Makes you wonder if it still works, or if the badge fell off when someone tried to fix it.

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
The emblem on the front with the ACC is kind of cheesy for a Cadillac. Mine was loose when I bought it, and blew off in a car wash. Luckily I went back and found it.

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
My driver's door has been like that since I bought it in 2013, but I don't care, because it's black.
Those don't look like the straight-spoked Performance wheels, which should be 18", not the other model's 17".
Correct.

Straight spoked “chrome” 18” wheels.

·
Registered
2007 DTS (Base: 1SB)
66 Posts
I'd take a look in person to see if those alignment issues mentioned (driver's door, fueling hatch) are optical illusions or not. The pictures are not detailed enough to be able to tell. The dealer probably just got a rash of bad stuff at auction, which is becoming the norm in this goofy economy, so this one needs to be evaluated on its own merits (or lack thereof). All of the marketing literature that I've ever seen for these shows the Cadillac emblem on the adaptive cruise control lens, so maybe this one has an aftermarket replacement.

Don't let the seller scare you off. Just treat it as a private party sale. Check for rust, scan for codes, pay somebody $60 to get it up on a lift and see if you can find anything by which to negotiate the price down. If the active suspension has been replaced with a passive system, that's a great place to start.
Performance Edition came with upgraded 18’ wheels. It would be nice to have access the RPO sticker so you can see what options the car was built with.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spoke to the dealer, he says car has no rust and everything looks good but tires are fairly worn. I asked about the door and fuel door alignment, says he hasn't noticed but the fuel door could be from the factory like that. Also says he has noticed the emblem gone, says might have fallen off or been stolen? He says I can have a mechanic come look at it on a lift if I'd like, so I'll probably see if I can pay to send someone over to check it out.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Performance Edition came with upgraded 18’ wheels. It would be nice to have access the RPO sticker so you can see what options the car was built with.
Correct.

Straight spoked “chrome” 18” wheels.
Dealer wasn't sure why the wheels would be different, but says they just input the VIN and the info comes back. I checked the VIN as well, comes back as the performance.

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
13,458 Posts
Could be a set of winter use wheels, the PO wanted a softer ride, or grew tired of chrome related corrosion issues. A million reasons.

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
I’ve never seen that wheel in a 18” but I could be wrong.

My 07 Luxury I has those wheels in 17. They were an option. My 08 Performance had 18” on it when I bought it.

The option list will be in the trunk under the spare tire cover. You can also order a reproduction window sticker from Monroney for less than $10 with the VIN.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: Currently have a mechanic who is very familiar with DTS cars and the Northstar engine going to pick it up and give me a full breakdown. To be honest I'm not really worried about the brakes/tires/etc but much more interested in the suspension and drivetrain being up to standard. Mechanic is only charging me $45 to look it over so I'll post the update. If it comes back in good shape I will most likely purchase. The dealer DEFINITELY didn't know it was a performance edition or what that even was.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the window sticker, pretty good list of features. How come it doesn't specifically mention the "performance" package though?
Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2007 DTS (Base: 1SB)
66 Posts
I’ve never seen that wheel in a 18” but I could be wrong.

My 07 Luxury I has those wheels in 17. They were an option. My 08 Performance had 18” on it when I bought it.

The option list will be in the trunk under the spare tire cover. You can also order a reproduction window sticker from Monroney for less than $10 with the VIN.

I like that window sticker reproduction for your 08’ DTS. Also the color is awesome.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dealer wasn't sure why the wheels would be different, but says they just input the VIN and the info comes back. I checked the VIN as well, comes back as the performance.
If you have a photo of the engine, the cover should read: NORTHSTAR V8 NHP. The regular models don't have the NHP.

When I had the 7 year itch last year, I looked up a lot of VINs on compnine, and they didn't always match with what was visible in the ad photos. The ad text didn't match even more often.

The MRC struts/shocks were still $360+ each last time I looked, so it's worth having them checked. The STS V8s I looked at without the MRC were usually significantly more expensive than the ones with it for that reason.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I didn't know those wheels were still available in 2008, only 2006-7. They're so much nicer than my gaudy Platinum wheels.
For that matter, I thought the Performance engine/transaxle/suspension were available only on the Platinum from 2008 on.

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
Pre 08s had some electrical harness/fuse-block issues. My 07 never has had the issue.

My performance vs my luxury.

The final drive ratio of the Performance models is lower. At 2200 rpm my 07Lux is running 81mph, my 08Perf is running 67mph. Both speedometers read about 1 mpg low against a GPS. While there is slightly more Horsepower in the performance tuning, the gear ratio provides the majority of the performance increase.

Because of the gear ratio, my performance gets right at 2 mpg less than the other on mostly highway. 23.2 vs 21.2 on very similar trips running mostly 75-85 mph. In town is harder to compare, but I believe the performance is slightly lower there also.

Active suspension struts and shock are considerably more. The ride on my performance is better and much more stable at speed. But it has 150k less miles on it. The struts and shock on my 07 only have about 75-100k on them.

My performance handles much better also. It’s more planted with less body roll. Some of the better handling may be because of the 20” wheel tire combo I have. I didn’t drive it but a few miles with the 18”s because the tires were junk.

The factory navigation vs radio is a wash because the tech is so outdated, but the Bose upgrade is nice. Neither of mine have factory navigation, but my 2012 Escalade does and it SUCKS. Not the maps, but the tech is old and does have traffic. I may put an aftermarket floating display in my performance. But for now I use an iPad mini in all 3 vehicles.

The rear sunshade is pretty cool, until I tinted the windows and now it is just a novelty.

The seat massagers are cool. And I was surprised they are on the back seats also.

Adaptive cruise is nice, including the braking feature. I wish I could shorten the spacing slightly.

Lane departure does not work on mine, so I can’t comment on it. Camera swap did not fix it.

Rain sensing wipers are cool.

I hope I never have to replace the windshield in the performance model.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts