Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to haul some stuff in my 98 SLS the other day and after I unloaded it rides REALLY rough.

The total weight was around 400LBS in the trunk and since it was only me in the car, I can't see why it would be doing this. Any ideas? No codes BTW.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
The easiest way to figure out whats going on with the suspension is to get under the car and take a look around. I would start in the rear, look at all the bushings (they may have been damaged) and then give a good tug to each component, there shouldn;t be too much if any play in them. I suspect the shocks got damaged, see if theres fluid around or near the shock that came out of it. Also check the mounts for damage. It almost sounds like the shocks got compressed and never went back to ride height. I agree though, 400 pounds isn't that much, pretty much the same as having 2 people in the back seat. Pretty interesting issue, leme know what you find.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The easiest way to figure out whats going on with the suspension is to get under the car and take a look around. I would start in the rear, look at all the bushings (they may have been damaged) and then give a good tug to each component, there shouldn;t be too much if any play in them. I suspect the shocks got damaged, see if theres fluid around or near the shock that came out of it. Also check the mounts for damage. It almost sounds like the shocks got compressed and never went back to ride height. I agree though, 400 pounds isn't that much, pretty much the same as having 2 people in the back seat. Pretty interesting issue, leme know what you find.
Already checked. The shocks are fine, there is no sign of damage at all. The rear end is at normal height. It's almost like they pumped up to compensate and then never deflated.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Push down on each rear corner trying to bounce the back end. I have seen a few shocks lock up for some unknown reason and won't move up or down.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
Now that Cadillac Tech mentions it, I have experienced that once many, many moons ago. It actually ripped the lower mounting hole open in the frame. They where Sears shocks.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It fixed itself. I think it was the stuck shock thing cause I couldn't hardly bounce it at all. I took it for a wild ride around some curves at high speed and then let it sit. Now it's doing fine.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
This may or may not have been your problem, but I had a similar thing once, and as best as I can figure, the level ride thing filled it up with air, but then wouldn't release any...

When I look at my codes, I notice that when I exit from the codes, the level-riding system seems to reset itself... so I did that, and it worked....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts