Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This was the first time at the track for me. I have never dumped the clutch till that night. My other rear ends were just crap. I take that back I have dumped the clutch a couple of other times like on the way to the dealership to get the rear replaced. I know my times were driver related but wheel hop was not. I wonder if the new ZO6 has wheel hop?
IF you have one of those kits available please PM me or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
First off TX....Go when the last yellow light is about to illuminate(before the grren). My trip last week to the track,...I got a .007 reaction time,..which got me a free test and tune night. .001 to .009 is perfect, to near perfect. I have never gotten better then this .007 but, close.

CTS-V's...and Corvettes have Wheel hop man. I have it from a slow roll,.....Marco's C6 will sometimes get it,...as this past week, at the track, on EMT run flats, 19's,....with 4700 miles, and full exhaust,he completely exploded his rear diff. Like I never seen before. On a brand new vette, mostly stock. Anyways,..is was nuts, and it was from staying on the gass pedal, while the car was hopeing. When you feel it, you really should lift.

My first, and only time on the race track, driving a CTS-V, was a magacharged V, with full exhaust, eibachs, CCW's...19's....and Pirelli P zero's. I went .324 reaction time, 2.1 60ft....8.533 in the 1/8th, and 87.98 mph in the 1/8th, and 12.952 @ 111.56 mph in the quartermile.

I launched that thing, like at 2100rpm,...and feathered it out of the hole, no chassis kit at all,...it DID HOP,.. but not enough for me to lift alot.

I was gonna write something on posting but, I figured this guy from Z06 vette came up with a great post for anyone,...so here it is, you may find it interesting.

Later.

http://z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53940

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
V-SeriesTech thank you for the reply! I read that link and I think it will help. I may go again this weekend one more time since the V does not go in untill next week for the new rear end.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
TXSilverV said:
V-SeriesTech thank you for the reply! I read that link and I think it will help. I may go again this weekend one more time since the V does not go in untill next week for the new rear end.

sweet dude. I read it once in the past,..and the man is right.

Also,..Not sure if anyone has ever heard of EVAN SMITH,...aswesome DRIVER. The man can drive anything. Check out the latest issue if GM HIGH TECH magazine I think it is www.gmhightechperformance.com

Not sure of the article though.

Check it out, he is the man.

Go again, you'll do better brother.

Welcome to the addiction. Now only if I can find somewhere that does standing miles...:devil: :D

J

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
1. Get the cradle torqued down to the recommended by others on this board
2. Tire pressure?
3. ALL IRS car will hop if you give too much power from standing start
4. fg2?

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
turbojimmy said:
As someone else said, an American car with a big V8, manual transmission and RWD should shine at a dragstrip. There are lots of examples of cars designed for 'fast handling laps' that can also leave a stoplight or Christmas tree without drama. I've seen Ferraris, NSXs, Porsches, various Benz, BMWs, etc. at the local 1/4-mile track. The turbo Subarus (WRXs and non-WRXs) and STis are setup for road courses, too (but they're also AWD). None had their back tires hopping wildly at launch. Actually, wheel hop in general is a pretty rare event at the track.

For the money the car should be well-rounded. Particularly, again, a RWD V8 car. I think a potential buyer for such a car has certain preconceived notions about how the car would be used, one of them being able to drag race it on occasion.

Every platform has a weak spot that will eventually show itself as you modify it. However, it should be built to handle whatever the stock powerplant is capable of delivering - even, IMO, if the owner decides to put on slicks.

I think GM dropped the ball and that making excuses like "not made for that" or "driver error" lets them off the hook too easily.

Jim
I agree with your opinion as well. However, I never said the V shouldn't perform or hold up as expected on the 1/4 mile track. I just said that Cadillac's intent with the V seems to be more towards road course handling than 1/4 mile times from their design point. Also with the marketing backing it up, you'd figure that was Cadillac's goal. We all have our gripes about GM's failure in using a beefier rearend. However, if our only choice now is to baby them till a solution comes about, then that is what we need to do.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
MCaesar said:
Exactly
Since when is something with a Corvette motor "delicate"? Is this a Prius?
You obviously know your rearend is "delicate".:p I wasn't referring to the V's engine. We all know the rearend is the weak link in the V.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts