Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what mileage you guys are getting out of the 2wd models? I just bought an '02 and have pretty much been babying it and my average by the computer is up to 14.0. The dealership I bought it from had reset the average fuel mileage in the trip computer so I don't know what the truck was getting with the previous owner, it said 7.8 when I took the keys. I'm hoping to eek out 15-16 mpg in my normal driving if possible.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
Here is my MPG from 59mph for 30 miles on a 2004 6.0L AWD. I have done better but there was a strong crosswind and it was hilly. It has a K&N air filter, SuperChips programmer. and vortex generators across the back roof. My best was 22.3 but I included a picture to prove it.

Escalade LED 4a.jpg

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the K&N really improve much?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
ga_etc said:
Did the K&N really improve much?
The drop in one NO(I speak from bad experience)
Any other it needs a snorkel to be effective

Fyi the oil from the drop in one can screw up the mass air flow sensor which in turn can cause the O2 sensors to go nuts
On top of that the oil gets in your engine and can coat the valves over time
If your keeping the stock air box stick with factory filters trust me the k&n drop in filter is not worth the headache

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
It lowers air flow restriction like a free flowing exhaust helps. I've been using the drop in for many years, first in my old Yukon. If you clean it and then over oil it you would be the idiot causing your own problem. The oil on the filter is minimal and has never caused me any problems. That is why I use them. Remember the foam air filter on a lawn mower? You wash it, dry it, and load it down with oil. Did it hurt the valves? No. Mechanics use this K&N myth because they are no longer selling you paper air filters and scam their money selling you a mass airflow sensor because there is no way for you to tell if it is bad or not. If it was true they would be sued so much.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=422

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
It lowers air flow restriction like a free flowing exhaust helps. I've been using the drop in for many years, first in my old Yukon. If you clean it and then over oil it you would be the idiot causing your own problem. The oil on the filter is minimal and has never caused me any problems. That is why I use them. Remember the foam air filter on a lawn mower? You wash it, dry it, and load it down with oil. Did it hurt the valves? No. Mechanics use this K&N myth because they are no longer selling you paper air filters and scam their money selling you a mass airflow sensor because there is no way for you to tell if it id bad or not. If it was true they would be sued so much. http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=422
Ok then explain how it caused the issues when it CAME in the truck(I haven't re oiled nether filter)
There is a thread on here that explains the whole thing and the k&n drop in filters faired the worst in a lab test which compared it to many different filters including the oem gm filter(which out did the rest in every way)

In my truck it kept messing with the mass air flow sensor and making it throw a performance code
In my mom's 02 it messed it up to where it was making the 02 sensors throw codes along with the mass air flow sensor throwing the same code
Since I swapped them out for gm filters the problems went away and both trucks run BETTER then they did with the k&n filters
I never did anything to either filter as they both looked clean(despite living on a dirt road)

Gm put more money into r&d on the stock air box then you think to get it to work with the engine with the gm filter

----------

Btw a lawn mower engine doesn't see the environment a car or truck engine does

Besides I never oiled the filter on my go cart engine when I first put it into service as it has a two stage filter and doesn't need oil in the filter

Has yet to give me trouble

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard about the oil issue with K&Ns for years. I think it's kinda luck of the draw to a certain extent honestly. I had one of the drop in kind in my '92 F150 with the 351 and never had an issue with it and it was in the truck the entire time we owned it. I'm not sure how it actually differed the fuel economy though.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
Ok then explain how it caused the issues when it CAME in the truck(I haven't re oiled nether filter)
There is a thread on here that explains the whole thing and the k&n drop in filters faired the worst in a lab test which compared it to many different filters including the oem gm filter(which out did the rest in every way)

In my truck it kept messing with the mass air flow sensor and making it throw a performance code
In my mom's 02 it messed it up to where it was making the 02 sensors throw codes along with the mass air flow sensor throwing the same code
Since I swapped them out for gm filters the problems went away and both trucks run BETTER then they did with the k&n filters
I never did anything to either filter as they both looked clean(despite living on a dirt road)

Gm put more money into r&d on the stock air box then you think to get it to work with the engine with the gm filter

----------

Btw a lawn mower engine doesn't see the environment a car or truck engine does

Besides I never oiled the filter on my go cart engine when I first put it into service as it has a two stage filter and doesn't need oil in the filter

Has yet to give me trouble
I never said YOU over oiled your K& N Filter. Who said anything about go karts and dry filters???? I was talking about oiled foam air filters in lawnmowers and the effects on the valves, none. Do you mean that a lawnmower trying to breath in all the grass, dust, dirt and pollen is a better environment than driving down the road? LOL

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Ok bad point
I was just saying that I had a bad experience with k&n drop in filters

Any small engine though has a rough life no matter what it's on

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
So why did you not sue K&N.
Because I didn't buy the filters new they came already installed in the trucks when they were bought
Otherwise I would have contacted them for warranty coverage for the issues

I wouldn't have got a lawyer involved unless i needed to

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
It lowers air flow restriction like a free flowing exhaust helps. I've been using the drop in for many years, first in my old Yukon. If you clean it and then over oil it you would be the idiot causing your own problem. The oil on the filter is minimal and has never caused me any problems. That is why I use them. Remember the foam air filter on a lawn mower? You wash it, dry it, and load it down with oil. Did it hurt the valves? No. Mechanics use this K&N myth because they are no longer selling you paper air filters and scam their money selling you a mass airflow sensor because there is no way for you to tell if it is bad or not. If it was true they would be sued so much.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=422
That name calling...

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
So during non WOT acceleration and cruise, what most engines spend the majority of they're time doing, especially if you're concerned with fuel mileage, a freer flowing air filter improves fuel economy? Considering the fact that under these conditions the butterfly salve in the TB is a MUCH larger restriction than the dirtiest air filter could ever hope to be, that's very impressive. The fact that K&N filters load up much quicker than paper element filters (quickly becoming more restrictive than a paper element is in the first place) makes it even more laughable.

Actual tests have been performed, I don't feel like posting it again right now, easy enough to find.

Oh, and they flow more dirt too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Every independent laboratory tests I have seen comparing K&N filters to regular paper filters have shown that regular paper filters will flow more air when they are new but as they get dirty the standard paper filters will start to fall off way short of the K&N. Usually as said before when the oil messes up the mass air flow the filter has been oiled to much. I have heard of others having trouble with them with the factory oil on them straight out of the box but I have never had an issue with them myself. I'm actually running one on my Escalade right now as we speak and mine hasn't missed a beat and has been running with it now almost a year.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
blaze190 said:
Every independent laboratory tests I have seen comparing K&N filters to regular paper filters have shown that regular paper filters will flow more air when they are new but as they get dirty the standard paper filters will start to fall off way short of the K&N. Usually as said before when the oil messes up the mass air flow the filter has been oiled to much. I have heard of others having trouble with them with the factory oil on them straight out of the box but I have never had an issue with them myself. I'm actually running one on my Escalade right now as we speak and mine hasn't missed a beat and has been running with it now almost a year.
Think about it for a second there is a reason the k&n filter allows more air flow it doesn't filter as good as other filters(hold it to light and you will see GAPS in the material in the k&n filter)

The factory air box has a meter that allows you to check if you filter needs replacing and when it's in the red you change the filter plain and simple
It's designed with the gm filter and works best with it

Now if you look at the factory filter it has more surface area then the k&n and can filter better without restricting the intake(like moist cabbage said the throttle body is the biggest restriction)

I have been running the stock filter for two years and haven't had a problem and it has yet to show that it needs changing by the meter
The claims k&n makes is false as you can see the same improvement with a new paper filter(the demo stands are also rigged in k&n's favor)
Btw I live on a dirt road and have had my truck get dust in the engine bay but the filter keeps it out of my engine(which is what a air filter does)
Also the tests show how they hold up over time and are not biased to certain filters

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
I think we have been off topic long enough. "Real world MPG on 5.3L Escalade?" Maybe a paper vs. K&N filter topic is needed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts