Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 months of sticking close to home like most of us. We decided to "get out of Dodge" for a couple of days and take a spin over to Portland Maine, about 3 hours away. There is plenty to do safely and no real crowds. We had a great time.

Time to go home, I decide to take a different way home, to change the scenery. The first 40 miles is on the interstate (95). For this trip, I took my LT1, 94 Caprice Wagon rather than a Fleetwood.

Get on the highway and after about 10 miles, I noticed the car is picking up speed on it's own, maybe about 65 to 75. I, nor my wife have never used cruise control on this car or any of or cars. I have owned the wagon for 11 years. Now I'm a little concerned as we are going 70 to 75. Make that a lot concerned. Diane knows what's wrong also. I feel with my foot to make sure the floor mat is not interfering with the gas pedal. It was not. I check the cruise control to make sure I did not engage it by mistake. It did not.

I know I have to get off of the road and pull over. With a combination of the brakes, and dropping down in gears I manage to get her off of the road, stopped and shut off. I pop the hood and it is smoking....the brakes. Of course, I don't have any tools. What could happen 100 miles from home. I'm sure it's got something to do with the cruise control. I disconnect the electrical plug going to the unit. No change, engine still racing. Water temp and oil pressure were good.

From what I can see, the cable from the accelerator and cruise control look good. I can reach in and fiddle around with the linkage. I don't know what I did, but it cleared the problem. I pulled off of the highway and there was an O'Reilly's Autoparts store. I bought some WD-40 and soaked all linkage. Never had another issue all the way home. When I got home, I inspected the cables; no kinks or issues. The issue is not there now, but I don't know what the problem was. I thinking I'm going to disconnect the cruise control cable from the linkage.

Today, I made sure Diane knew what she would do if she were driving, she had all the right answers. I think I will WD-40 the linkage on my other cars.

Tom

Oh, one other thing, as you can imagine, it was a struggle to keep this thing under control. I was going about 50, trying to slow down. Diane says to me, " you know it's only 30 mph here". I held my tongue, and just looked at her.

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,042 Posts
Never once ever heard of that with our cars. Appreciate the heads-up. Just a friendly tip that if the WD-30 has got everything freed up, it may be advantageous to follow up with actual lube on everything eh.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea on the lube, I'll be getting back into it in the next couple of days. I know I never lubed the linkage or cables in the eleven years I have owned it and it was previously owned by a camp and it there's probably a good chance it has never been done. I have owned these cars since 97 and have never lubed the linkage and cables. Tomorrow I will lube them all.

I have never heard of anyone else having this issue and hope I never will. I really hope I find the issue that caused it.

Tom

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
486 Posts
Came across your post and wanted to offer a potential cause. I had the exact same issue with my 1993 Seville. After many years and multiple assessments by mechanics it was finally diagnosed as a timing issue with the throttle positioning sensor - it would become stuck and the car would accelerate on it's own much like were cruise control engaged. I had it fixed about 4yrs ago and it hasn't reoccurred since.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much ZeroOctane!

Yesterday I removed the cover to the cruise control. Nothing unusual, everything was clean and no damage. The cables from the accelerator and the cruise control were in good shape, no kinks. I know there is something faulty.

I will be heading out to hunt down a TPS. Really appreciate the input!!

Where abouts are you in NH? I am located in Littleton.

Tom

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,042 Posts
I replaced the TPS on either my Impala SS or my first FWB for some reason, but it was for some malady besides that. Just a lark, but I believe it can be VOM-ed at its idle and WOT positions for proper range. And I'm perhaps confusing with the '80's MCC gen carb cars but I believe TPS can be adjusted as well.

All this just to offer an opportunity to diagnose something investigable that's gone wonky and still salvageable - before proceeding immediately to 'GO' to outright replacement. :unsure:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got to disagree, I'm replacing the TPS. I don't want to have that happen again, uncontrollable throttle. I may not be as lucky next time. For @ $50 it's getting replaced. I don't have equipment to test and diagnose.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,299 Posts
I had that happen to me once in high school, on a 45mph winding, hilly state highway in CT. Definitely got the adrenalin flowing! Hindsight being 20/20, I should've just put the transmission in neutral and stopped. No need to smoke the brakes while trying to fight the engine that was apparently trying to go WOT. Letting the engine ride the rev limiter for a few seconds while you stop isn't going to hurt anything (unless the engine is already on death's door).

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,041 Posts
Even better, just shut the car off, shift to neutral, and stop. Yes, no power steering, and not much brake boost left beyond one stop. Just don't lock the column ;-)

Tom, none of those cables get "lubed". Lube will attract dirt. Just clean.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't lubed anything, I had second thoughts about that. If the cable was the issue, that would definitely make it worse.

Although it was a bad situation, I was on I 95, think of the Daytona 500. To shut her down could have led to a real bad situation. Luckily, I was able to get the car to slowdown, get her off of the highway, in a safe manner without any real damage or injuries or worse. I am real thankful for that.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could be on to something, I never go any way other than rt 302.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) this morning. I rolled the dice, if I have another issue, I'll know I guessed wrong.

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
486 Posts
Where abouts are you in NH? I am located in Littleton.
I'm a bit over an hour south of you in the lakes region. If you are ever in the area, especially with your Fleetwood, feel free to reach out. I typically take the Seville for a ride to the white mountains during the fall, although perhaps not this year as I am having some difficult to diagnose starting issues on that car.

How has the throttle positioning sensor replacement worked out for you?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited by Moderator)
TPS was an easy job, so far so good, but have to get some more miles on her.

Actually probably will be coming your way sometime soon. My brother has a summer place at the Totem Pole.

Email me your phone #, if you want and I will email you mine back.

PM me for my email address...

Tom

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just saw your post. PM incoming Tom (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts