Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
READING TROUBLE CODES

I've seen some questions pertaining to this....

1. Turn the ignition switch ON. [ interestingly, the engine can be on or off]

2. On the cars up to 1995, on the Climate Control panel, press the OFF and WARM buttons simultaneously.

On the 96/97, push the OFF button and the top (warmer) end of the PASS rocker switch.

For 99 Deville, Turn the ignition switch to ON. Simultaneously press the following buttons until all VF display segments (IPC and CCP) are illuminated:
The digital IPC, the climate control center (CCC) OFF and warmer (RED) buttons
The analog IPC, the climate control panel (CCP) OFF and PASS warmer (up arrow) buttons

On the 98-2000, there seems to be some discussion:

GM ESI CD version:

1) Turn the ignition on, engine off. 2) Press the RESET button to acknowledge any warning messages present 3) Press the OPTIONS button on the driver information center and hold 4) While pressing the OPTIONS button, press the FUEL button 4 times within a 10 second
period. System will first enter automatic display mode followed by manual display mode.

How to really do it for the 98+:
With the ignition key on, running or not makes no difference, press the on/off and info^(info/up) buttons for the DIC at the same time for about 2-3 seconds and release. It should then be itn the DTC check mode. Use the on/off button to select,when it
lists a question,i.e CODES?...,press on/off button to select that. The codes for each system will now appear if there are any. Otherwise it will say NO RSS, NO PCM,ETC... Use the reset info button to return or go back to the previous selection. When it asks you CLEAR CODES?...press the on/off button to clear them IF YOU WANT THEM CLEARED, if no, press reset info repeatedly until you exit. You can also exit by turning the ignition switch off.
This should work on '98 and up Sevilles.

3. Hold the buttons depressed until all display segments on the CC/DIC and instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) illuminate. On 1992 models, a separate combination panel houses both the ECC and DIC. On 1993-1994 models, the DIC is part of the instrument panel cluster.

4. After the segment check, the diagnostic trouble codes will be displayed. Each trouble code consists of the system identifier, a three-digit code identifier and the current or history identifier. If no codes are present for a system, a NO X CODE or NO X DATA message will be displayed.

E -- ECM trouble code
P -- PCM trouble code
C -- Current trouble code
H -- History trouble code
NO X CODE -- No code present (X represents the system)
NO X DATA -- Communication lines are not operating (X represents the system)
SEGMENT CHECK

The segment check is the illumination of the IPC, CCP, and DIC to verify that all segments of the liquid crystal displays [The display is actually florescent, not liquid crystal, but the GM text says LCD] are working. Only the turn signal indicators do not light during this check. Diagnosis should not be attempted unless all segments appear, as this could lead to misdiagnosis. If any portions or segments are inoperative, the faulty component should be replaced.

STATUS LIGHTS

When the system is placed into the Diagnostic Mode, the lighting elements on the climate control panel are used as status lights for various components. The mode of operation is determined by the light being ON or OFF. The use of each lighting element is different in ECM or BCM mode. For example, in the ECM mode the word OFF on the CCP will light to indicate a rich condition sensed by the left oxygen sensor input. In BCM mode, the same light is ON when the BCM commands the air inlet valve to the recirculate position.

TROUBLE CODE DISPLAY

After diagnostics is entered, any fault codes stored in computer memory will be displayed. For 1992 systems, codes may be stored or the ECM, BCM or SIR systems. For 1993-1994 the system has been expanded to include codes for the PCM, IPC, ACP, SIR, TCS, and RTD systems The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) replaces the BCM for 1993-1994 models, but serves the same purpose. ACP, SIR, TCS, and RTD stand for Air Conditioning Programmer, Supplemental Inflatable Restraint, Traction Control System, and Real Time Dampening, respectively. We will only deal with Engine control malfunctions here.

Each trouble code consists of the system identifier (E for ECM or P for PCM), a three-digit code identifier and the letter C or H to indicate current or history codes. If no codes are present for a system, a NO X CODE message will be displayed, with X representing the system.

On 1992 models, the RESET/RECALL button on the DIC will terminate diagnostics and return the vehicle to normal operation. For 1993+, depress the AUTO button on the ECC panel to return to normal operation.

That should cover most of it.

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
ATTENTION ALL CADDY OWNERS!

Everyone should learn to check your diagnostic codes on your Cadillacs! Thats why Cadillac put the "Onboard" diagnostic center in your cockpit! Yes your car is smarter than most people :D Please take some time to get to know your Cadillac a little better > You could save Thousands of $$$ on Repair costs in the near Future!

Thanx for the info P.P. Hopefully it will be put to good use. :spin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
1992 DeVille

I happen to be one of the people who own the strange 92 DeVille.

I see references all over the place on how to operate the on board diagnostics for pre-92, and post-92 cars, but, as of yet, I can't find a code listing that applies to a 92, or specific guides about how to operate the obd system of this car. some things seem close, but I would really appreciate some input as to how to use this specific system.

I have 2 things I'm trying to troubleshoot at the moment, neither of which is critical, but it'd sure be a lot easier with this info!

Thanks for the info.

P.S. The things I'm trying to trobleshoot are an inaccurate fuel gauge, and inconsistant operation of the A/C compressor. anyone know how to recalibrate the fuel gauge?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Re: 1992 DeVille

What "specifically" do you want to know about the OBD system? Pressing "OFF" and "WARMER" simultaneously brings you into "Diagnostics" just as other cars. The issues you mentioned are fairly common issues for your car and neither can be "fixed" via the OBD display. The fuel level sensor is most likely in need of replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Katshot said:
What "specifically" do you want to know about the OBD system? Pressing "OFF" and "WARMER" simultaneously brings you into "Diagnostics" just as other cars. The issues you mentioned are fairly common issues for your car and neither can be "fixed" via the OBD display. The fuel level sensor is most likely in need of replacement.
Thanks for your reply. But the 92 system is different from all the others, and the procedures for anything other than clearing codes don't work or read the same on this system. What do all the indicators mean in ecm mode, how do I switch modes, and where can I find a code list for the 92? I'd like to learn how to use this thing, but so far, everything I've seen for a DeVille doesn't work on the 92. this has no alphanumeric disply, won't say things like "no x data" or anything like that, and I've had a code or two that I could not find anywhere. it's a great tool, and works if you know which buttons do what when it's in diagnostic mode, and what the displays mean when in diag mode but so far, nothing I've read applies to the 92.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts

Gene said:
Thanks for your reply. But the 92 system is different from all the others, and the procedures for anything other than clearing codes don't work or read the same on this system. What do all the indicators mean in ecm mode, how do I switch modes, and where can I find a code list for the 92?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "indicators". Once the reading is at: ".7.0", you can access switch tests by pressing the brake pedal with the cruise switch "ON", outputs by pressing "HI", output cycling by pressing "LO" after you're in outputs, and output override by pressing "ECON & WARMER" after you're in outputs. Of course "OFF & HI" allows you to clear codes from either of these points.
I'd like to learn how to use this thing, but so far, everything I've seen for a DeVille doesn't work on the 92. this has no alphanumeric disply, won't say things like "no x data" or anything like that, and I've had a code or two that I could not find anywhere. it's a great tool, and works if you know which buttons do what when it's in diagnostic mode, and what the displays mean when in diag mode but so far, nothing I've read applies to the 92.
I'd suggest either a factory service manual or at the very least, a "Quick Reference" guide for the '92 Cadillacs which is available from Helm Publications for approx. $7.00. The catalog number for the guide is: H-2946. This guide gives you everything you ever wanted to know about accessing and navigating the OBD system plus TONS of other useful info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that, I'll look into one.

That was very useful info. Thanks so much, I'll look into one of those.

You just made my day.

:worship:

Gene.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Clearing trouble codes....

P.P. said:
READING TROUBLE CODES

I've seen some questions pertaining to this....

1. Turn the ignition switch ON. [ interestingly, the engine can be on or off]

2. On the cars up to 1995, on the Climate Control panel, press the OFF and WARM buttons simultaneously.

On the 96/97, push the OFF button and the top (warmer) end of the PASS rocker switch.

For 99 Deville, Turn the ignition switch to ON. Simultaneously press the following buttons until all VF display segments (IPC and CCP) are illuminated:
The digital IPC, the climate control center (CCC) OFF and warmer (RED) buttons
The analog IPC, the climate control panel (CCP) OFF and PASS warmer (up arrow) buttons

On the 98-2000, there seems to be some discussion:

GM ESI CD version:

1) Turn the ignition on, engine off. 2) Press the RESET button to acknowledge any warning messages present 3) Press the OPTIONS button on the driver information center and hold 4) While pressing the OPTIONS button, press the FUEL button 4 times within a 10 second
period. System will first enter automatic display mode followed by manual display mode.

How to really do it for the 98+:
With the ignition key on, running or not makes no difference, press the on/off and info^(info/up) buttons for the DIC at the same time for about 2-3 seconds and release. It should then be itn the DTC check mode. Use the on/off button to select,when it
lists a question,i.e CODES?...,press on/off button to select that. The codes for each system will now appear if there are any. Otherwise it will say NO RSS, NO PCM,ETC... Use the reset info button to return or go back to the previous selection. When it asks you CLEAR CODES?...press the on/off button to clear them IF YOU WANT THEM CLEARED, if no, press reset info repeatedly until you exit. You can also exit by turning the ignition switch off.
This should work on '98 and up Sevilles.

3. Hold the buttons depressed until all display segments on the CC/DIC and instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) illuminate. On 1992 models, a separate combination panel houses both the ECC and DIC. On 1993-1994 models, the DIC is part of the instrument panel cluster.

4. After the segment check, the diagnostic trouble codes will be displayed. Each trouble code consists of the system identifier, a three-digit code identifier and the current or history identifier. If no codes are present for a system, a NO X CODE or NO X DATA message will be displayed.

E -- ECM trouble code
P -- PCM trouble code
C -- Current trouble code
H -- History trouble code
NO X CODE -- No code present (X represents the system)
NO X DATA -- Communication lines are not operating (X represents the system)
SEGMENT CHECK

The segment check is the illumination of the IPC, CCP, and DIC to verify that all segments of the liquid crystal displays [The display is actually florescent, not liquid crystal, but the GM text says LCD] are working. Only the turn signal indicators do not light during this check. Diagnosis should not be attempted unless all segments appear, as this could lead to misdiagnosis. If any portions or segments are inoperative, the faulty component should be replaced.

STATUS LIGHTS

When the system is placed into the Diagnostic Mode, the lighting elements on the climate control panel are used as status lights for various components. The mode of operation is determined by the light being ON or OFF. The use of each lighting element is different in ECM or BCM mode. For example, in the ECM mode the word OFF on the CCP will light to indicate a rich condition sensed by the left oxygen sensor input. In BCM mode, the same light is ON when the BCM commands the air inlet valve to the recirculate position.

TROUBLE CODE DISPLAY

After diagnostics is entered, any fault codes stored in computer memory will be displayed. For 1992 systems, codes may be stored or the ECM, BCM or SIR systems. For 1993-1994 the system has been expanded to include codes for the PCM, IPC, ACP, SIR, TCS, and RTD systems The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) replaces the BCM for 1993-1994 models, but serves the same purpose. ACP, SIR, TCS, and RTD stand for Air Conditioning Programmer, Supplemental Inflatable Restraint, Traction Control System, and Real Time Dampening, respectively. We will only deal with Engine control malfunctions here.

Each trouble code consists of the system identifier (E for ECM or P for PCM), a three-digit code identifier and the letter C or H to indicate current or history codes. If no codes are present for a system, a NO X CODE message will be displayed, with X representing the system.

On 1992 models, the RESET/RECALL button on the DIC will terminate diagnostics and return the vehicle to normal operation. For 1993+, depress the AUTO button on the ECC panel to return to normal operation.

That should cover most of it.
:worship: Thank you for the info on trouble codes..Can you tell me how to clear the trouble codes on a 94 SLS? Thanks again....Ed

·
Registered
96 Concours, 90 Deville
112 Posts

Ed Scheuring said:
:worship: Thank you for the info on trouble codes..Can you tell me how to clear the trouble codes on a 94 SLS? Thanks again....Ed

This is from another post about a 1990 Cadillac in the same forum:

You can clear codes, when computer is in diagnostic mode (in EGR just press LO button to scroll to the "clean codes" menu and then hit HI button.) In that way you clear all EGR codes.

Its little different in De Ville and Fleetwood:
When ECM enters to the diagnostic mode, its show all codes and then after that, it stays in reading "EGR?" or "7.0" just push simultaneously "hi" and "OFF" buttons - until E 0.0 shown - this clears ECM trouble codes. To clear BCM codes push "OFF" and "lo" buttons (until F 0.0 shows).

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac STS
154 Posts

I have an error code that has been showing up lately.

It is:
P039- Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Engagement Problem [4th Gear, TCC for Ignition Cycle] Has anyone else had this problem. i have a 94 seville SLS and I do not feel any difference in shifting from when it turns on the service engine soon light, or not. What would the soultion be to this problem. Does this have to do with my transmission, or is it something near the tranny, less expensive?

I also have had these codes pop up in my history, does anybody have solutions as to how they fixed them??

SO44- Lift/Dive Fault- Does not turn on any Telltale Light or Display any Message

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings,

I am new around here but used the search engine to find much useful info.

I have 1993 deVille that runs rough only at freeway speeds (around 50-60) on an intermittant basis. It also idles rough, though I understand that to be symptomatic of the year/engine.

In any case, I know how to pull the trouble codes, problem is, my codes don't look like anything I've seen here or at Anthony Haukap's great DTC site. For instance, tonight I got the codes:

E.0.7 and E.9.6

No "C" or "H" to indicate current or history, etc.

Is the ECM the same as a PCM? And what do the codes mean?

Getting back to the rough freeway condition: it is as if the tires were out of balance but when I took the car in to a tire shop and described the problem, the tech told me that 1) if it were indeed a tire problem, it would always happen and not be intermittant; and 2) all tire balancers only spin tires up to 50 mph so over-55 issues might not be diagnosable with the equipment out in the market. While he thought that moving the sensitivity up a notch might help, because of #1, he didn't think it a tire issue.

It almost seems as if the rough conditions happens after I reach freeway speeds and ease off the accelerator. This is when the vibrations set in then go away after about three minutes or under I press the gas to pass. I'm not sure what a misfiring engine feels like, but that might be the cause.

FYI:
The car is a 1993 SDV.
Mileage is only 20,000.
I tried some fuel injector cleaner and that has helped a little.
The engines runs strong under acceleration, no hestiation or misfiring.

Aside from the rough running issue, the car runs like a top.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Wendell

·
Registered
96 Concours, 90 Deville
112 Posts
HaYnBenz said:
Greetings,

I am new around here but used the search engine to find much useful info.

I have 1993 deVille that runs rough only at freeway speeds (around 50-60) on an intermittant basis. It also idles rough, though I understand that to be symptomatic of the year/engine.

In any case, I know how to pull the trouble codes, problem is, my codes don't look like anything I've seen here or at Anthony Haukap's great DTC site. For instance, tonight I got the codes:

E.0.7 and E.9.6

No "C" or "H" to indicate current or history, etc.

Is the ECM the same as a PCM? And what do the codes mean?

Getting back to the rough freeway condition: it is as if the tires were out of balance but when I took the car in to a tire shop and described the problem, the tech told me that 1) if it were indeed a tire problem, it would always happen and not be intermittant; and 2) all tire balancers only spin tires up to 50 mph so over-55 issues might not be diagnosable with the equipment out in the market. While he thought that moving the sensitivity up a notch might help, because of #1, he didn't think it a tire issue.

It almost seems as if the rough conditions happens after I reach freeway speeds and ease off the accelerator. This is when the vibrations set in then go away after about three minutes or under I press the gas to pass. I'm not sure what a misfiring engine feels like, but that might be the cause.

FYI:
The car is a 1993 SDV.
Mileage is only 20,000.
I tried some fuel injector cleaner and that has helped a little.
The engines runs strong under acceleration, no hestiation or misfiring.

Aside from the rough running issue, the car runs like a top.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Wendell
Wendell, I don't know what kind of roughness you are experiencing, but my 90 DeVille was running rough between 60 and 65mph...it would start shaking really badly, especially the steering wheel. I had the tires checked and the shop said they were ok and balanced. Last week on a road trip I blew out a rear tire going about 70mph...after I had that tire replaced with a new one, the shake stopped. You may have a defective tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Snyder.

I think you are right. I just picked up the car from the local BMW dealer and believe it or not, they put a brand new set of tires but.........there is no manufacturer's name anywhere that I can see! Hmmm, a tire so bad that the builder doesn't want his name on it? I think I'll take your advice and buya new set of Michelins...

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
same here.....found bulge in rear tire, but only after months of agony and wheel balances......just took time for it to surface.....Was lucky mine was ready to blow when I caught it...bad note was doing 80MPH right before found it....Scary hey ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
please help 1990 fleetwood, have trouble with battery how do I find diagnostic panel then what do I need to do, female in trouble

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
The "diagnostic panel" doubles as your climate control panel. Thus, when you read the part about the OFF and WARMER buttons, its referring to the climate control buttons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts