Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 STS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After filling up my tank of gas 3 days ago my service engine soon light came on. -Check Emissons Service- that appeard on my display. I have a 96 STS. How do i run the on board diagnostics and recieve a code so i can find out the hell is wrong with my car. I also realized my gas mileage has been going down also. Does anyone kno how to do the FPR test to see if its leaking gas. Thanks

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
STS1320 said:
After filling up my tank of gas 3 days ago my service engine soon light came on. -Check Emissons Service- that appeard on my display. I have a 96 STS. How do i run the on board diagnostics and recieve a code so i can find out the hell is wrong with my car. I also realized my gas mileage has been going down also. Does anyone kno how to do the FPR test to see if its leaking gas. Thanks
Click the link below to go to a thread about how to read the diagnostic codes. As for the FPR, use the Search feature above and look for FPR. There must be a hundred threads about it. Very simple. Let us know what codes you find.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53635

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
In your post you said that this light came on after you filled the tank, A couple of things to check would be, is the gas cap on properly (a little silly I know, but it will activate the check engine light), Another thing that would light up the light is overfilling the tank, it could damage the emission systems, Evap unit, etc, these would be easy to see if and when you check for codes, Cold weather would also play a part in reducing your gas mileage, where you live is certainly getting its share of cold weather. Try those ideas and goodluck.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
STS1320 said:
IR1749, PC1404, IP2411 are the codes that i got
This is the one causing your Service Emissions System message:

P1404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Closed Position Performance

I would say that either the EGR valve and passages need to be cleaned or the valve is bad and needs to be replaced. If you want to clean it, click the link below and learn how to do it, otherwise just get it replaced.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59077

I have a 96 also and the bad thing about them is the codes don't always translate easily to OBD-II standard codes. It takes a factory service manual to look them up, and I don't have mine with me at work. Maybe someone else will chime in with the translations, but I can tell you for sure that they are not causing you any engine problems, nor are they the cause of your console message.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

·
Registered
96 STS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found that the IR1749 is the bose system missing code. I put in a aftermarket cd player so i can understand that. I just need to know IP2411 code

1 - 7 of 7 Posts