Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at some articles of the roadmaster, caprice, and brougham, and it said the fleetowwd had a firmer suspension than the othet 2, so you dont get that pillowy, floating ride that is the cadillac signature. This really disappointed me; they said it felt alot more stable on the highway, but with a car that HUGE and traditional, I would want the softest ride possible. Its kinda like a limo - strictly for comfort. The newest brougham was my dream car, now Im not sure!! I wish I could find a test of the town car vs. the fleetwood to see how the stack up in a direct comparison

·
Registered
755 Posts
Dude you have started so many threads like this! I have a 93 Brougham and I think its a great mix of comfort and handling. I wouldn't want it any softer. Just find a nice Brougham for sale, take it for a ride and see for your self!!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
We have a pristine '93 too, and it is by far, my favorite of our three cars (Fleetwood, Roadmaster, Avalanche). The ride is by no means stiff, and what these articles (I know what you're reading) are talking about, are that it is not the really loose, floppy, sloppy, seasick ride of Cadillacs of before. It still floats like a cloud (smoothest car I've ever been in!!) and handles nicely, but you feel how trully heavy it is and don't feel the bumps. A lot of people here said it is too soft stock and changed to stiffer springs, shocks, and roll bars, but the more I drive it, the more I would never dream of changing anything!

Really though, you need to find a nice one (there's a lot of ratty ones out there that might give a bad impression) and drive it like you normally would. This will tell you whether or not it is enough of a "pillow" for you.

Oh, and actually, I think our Roadmaster rides stiffer and has better handling. It is also smaller and lighter, but the Fleetwood just has a more supreme, creamy silk feeling over the road. ;)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I just got my 95 and I gotta tell ya, The ride is really soft in fact i think too soft. Your best bet is to drive one. The difference in power between my 95 and my white 85 is crazy, night and day. The 95 is by far a much faster,nicer car. I do still like my 85's though.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Can you PLEASE keep it ALL in ONE thread!!? Having multiple threads going on with pretty much the same exact questions results in increased server load due to additional page loads that are really unneccesary,in additional to making the search hell to use in the future (Your 93-96 Brougham A Debate thread could contain all of this). Glad you found interest in a 'lac, just try to keep your enthusiasm limited to one item per topic... ;)

Anyway, I think you will find there is really no such thing as a "harsh" or "stiff" riding Cadillac, they just arent designed that way. What was probably being indicated, as mentioned above, is that the vehicle probably doesnt wallow and wander as much as its competitors, or even as much as some of its platform-mates. Even my 2001 STS, Which had the stiffest Cadillac ride IVE ever felt by far, (the CTS is probably more controlled but is a different type of vehicle) STILL was very soft overall, and its designed toward more spirited driving than the SLS model.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 1996 Fleetwood and my shocks are shot and the ride with really worn shocks is just like that of your normal vehicle. It drive me nuts though that its not the nice smooth ride that my car should have. My parents insist nothing is wrong but yet they drive a Chevy Truck and an SUV so the ride of my Fleetwood is just like the ride of there cars so its normal to them. It drive me nuts though. But with new shocks it will ride great. I gotta get a job to get shocks though.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
I was looking at some articles of the roadmaster, caprice, and brougham, and it said the fleetowwd had a firmer suspension than the othet 2, so you dont get that pillowy, floating ride that is the cadillac signature.
They must have test driven my car. ;)

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
AJB2323 said:
I have a 1996 Fleetwood and my shocks are shot and the ride with really worn shocks is just like that of your normal vehicle. It drive me nuts though that its not the nice smooth ride that my car should have. My parents insist nothing is wrong but yet they drive a Chevy Truck and an SUV so the ride of my Fleetwood is just like the ride of there cars so its normal to them. It drive me nuts though. But with new shocks it will ride great. I gotta get a job to get shocks though.
Does the Fleetwood have Command Control Ride or other form of Ride Control? If so you might want to look into getting some conventional shock replacement modification kits. They are less expensive to maintain and theyll give you a decent ride still. They are out there from different companies. I know Wes (elwesso) knows who makes these.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
Does the Fleetwood have Command Control Ride or other form of Ride Control?
Height adjustable air shocks in the rear with an on-board air pump.

Changing to 'normal' shocks is a very hard modifcation to do. It requires the removal of a single fuse. :D

I'll let Wes tell you which fuse and were it is located.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
HotRodSaint