Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Allante.
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent the last few years softening up my original leather, it was darn near cardboard hard when I got it 3 years ago, and now, after many applications of leatherique and Bick 4, the hides are beautifully soft ( still needs a re-dye) but can I re-stuff the seats? I know the original foam was pre-molded,and the upholstry was actually stapled to the foam in parts, before it was attached to the seat frames, has anyone rebuilt their seats? I really want to try to keep the original leather,but need new stuffing, and don't want to pay retail to have someone else do it if I can pull it off myself.
any help appreciated.
Matt

·
Registered
1988 Allante
88 Posts
I had my seats apart and had my wiife replace a side panel on my 88 Redcarros. I too have softened the leather using neats foot oil. The seats soak it up like a sponge. My wife suggested you do an overlay of the existing foam with a layer of relatively thin dense foam. She suggested 1" thick. She thinks the new foam would conform to the shape of the existing foam and leather. You definitely wouldn't be "restuffing" the seat. They aren't made like that. Hope this helps. Moose

1 - 2 of 2 Posts