Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Eldoraldo ETC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone help me with the RDS feature, on how it works and how to use it.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,392 Posts
Radio Data System. Some stations broadcast time signals, traffic alerts, as well as emergency data. When RDS is activated a regular old FM station looks like a regular old FM station - but an RDS station has several display options, controlled by various head unit buttons/rockers.

Your best bet is to read the owner's manual - there are three pages on RDS.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
It is well described into the owner's manual.
The yellow rectangular button switches to RDS mode. Then you have the buttons from 1 to 6 to enable/select/disable a certain RDS feature (observe the yellow text on the 1-6 buttons). You also have the clock buttons after the RDS button is pressed. The clock buttons will set the clock automatically based on the station broadcast time (if that station broadcasts time).
RDS is also used to seek for a better signal as you drive out of the area where that station broadcast on a certain frequency and into a area where the same station broadcasts on a different frequency. So you drive hundreds of miles listening to the same station (although the frequency changes).

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
How many people actually use this RDS feature? I know I don't and I just got the denso navi unit installed and its much easier to operate on that

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
I use it every once in a while if I want to know the name of a song. I'd probably leave it on if it showed the preset number or channel constantly along with the scrolling RDS info. But waiting for it to scroll to see the channel is annoying.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
I use it all the time, is great for knowing the name of the station, show and/or song. Is excellent for setting your clock too. I just love it!

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
I use it all the time, is great for knowing the name of the station, show and/or song. Is excellent for setting your clock too. I just love it!
My radio shows the name of the station and song name and singer name! Kudos to previous owner who probably set the system for me! :D

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
I live out in the sticks where RDS isn't available on most stations....though I will find myself hitting it when I'm in a bigger city if I want to know the name of a song.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts