Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I been noticing more and more noise from the front end when I ride on rough roads. sounds like something is loose, bang,bang,bang but nothing on smooth surfaces. Even concrete road joints will cause this noise most of the time. Also the ride is very harsh. I don't recall it being this harsh when new? My 4x4 truck rides better.

I had a alignment shop check for problems but nothing was apparent. When they drove it they said it sounded like some bushing (?) in the struts and said it may be typical of the sport suspension and to check with the dealer. The noise sounds like metal banging against metal.

Anyone else observe this or have a problem with the struts. 2005 Luxury Sport CTS with 21,000 miles

Mike
2005 CTS
2008 GMC

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Hey Mike. I have an '07 w/10k miles that does the same thing. It's really annoying but I haven't taken it in to the dealer since my local dealer SUCKS and I hate the thought of getting into warranty stuff with them. :bigroll: I do have the sport suspension (18" wheel pkg) so maybe it is inherent in the suspension. We can always hope.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
174 Posts
You're in luck Gentlemen (women) My '03 rattles on bumpy roads AND you can hear a metallic clanging when at a stop and you turn the wheel left or right really quick. My next door neighbor is a mechanic for the cities vehicles and he came over the other day, crawled under the car and had me turn the wheel to the left a quarter turn then to the right a quarter turn and he said "Oh, that was easy, your lower control arms are bad... really common for this car..."

I'm making an appointment this week (also to fix the horrendous sounding sunroof when it opens/closes and peeling headlights)

I'll tell you how it turns out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 03 w/35,000 had the same symptoms, took to dealer, Upper rubber bushing of the strut. Replaced under warrentee. Rides like new.

·
Registered
Cadillac
185 Posts
I never realized CTS's had this problem as well.
I have an '06 STS w/Northstar & I have the same front suspension "rattle" problem that's driving me crazy!:mad:
I have taken it to 2 dealerships to no avail thus far.
1st dealership replaced the lower control arms & performed various underhood tweaks.
2nd dealership replaced the front right brake caliper.
While much better initially after the brake caliper was replaced, the "rattle" has resumed & gotten worse.
Especially noticeable on speed bumps,lane divider reflectors & bumpy roads.
As others have stated, on a smooth road it is fine.
I want to know what the problem is & have it resolved!:crybaby:
A new car, especially a Cadillac should not have this problem.:rant2:

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
A new car, especially a Cadillac should not have this problem.:rant2:
That's right these cars have extremely quiet suspensions. I won't chime in on what the problem could be because the above posts go from '03 to '07 to an STS. I've seen several common problems and a couple of weird problems.

RT, go to the dealer even if you hate them. You have an '07, you own them. Give them a smile and a detailed description, and demand nicely that it gets fixed.

·
Registered
White diamond 05 CTS 3.6L Euro
181 Posts
I have the same sound coming from the driver side most likely its coming from the inside under or above the steering wheel and it comes only on Rough roads, and yes the ride is getting more aggressive than before, but still smooth on clean roads…

I have 37,000 km on my 05 and still 3000 km till my next service, I'll make sure they get a memo about this issue…

05 CTS ~ 37,000 km ( < 23,000 miles)

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well it feels good I am not the only one.

I was talking today with a friend who is a GM tech at a Pontiac-Buick-GMC store and he mentioned these GM front struts are prone to making this kind of noise. Just about every FWD car will do it sooner or later, very common but he said it usually appears with higher miles than 21,000.

·
Registered
03 CTS
359 Posts
Just remember you can't, or so I'm told just change the bushings. It is the whole control arm they replace. I priced my rear uppers at 470 CAN and the lower rear at 500 CAN. I sucks if you have to do more than one at a time. Stupid car making me rack up 182 000 kms!!!!

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Well it feels good I am not the only one.

I was talking today with a friend who is a GM tech at a Pontiac-Buick-GMC store and he mentioned these GM front struts are prone to making this kind of noise. Just about every FWD car will do it sooner or later, very common but he said it usually appears with higher miles than 21,000.
FWD???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts