Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DTS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased a 2007 DTS. Immaculate and only 22K miles.
When I drive on rough asphalt roads there is a rattle coming from the AC vent on the driver's side dash.
Is there an easy way to remove the panel housing? Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
open the glove box and move it it has 6 screw they may be loose if not it may be that the passenger side strut mount that is bad

·
Registered
2007 DTS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I lost my reply to you! Here it is again.
Thanks for your suggestion. Could rattle be transmitted to AC vent left of the steering wheel? Is there a way do me to attach a photo? I'm new to the forum. Thanks, Ski

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
Ok with a flat head screw drive remove the molding around the vent it pop out just be careful with a 7 mm socket remove the vent

·
Registered
2007 DTS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the glove box and it does not rattle. I next tried using a thin putty knife and gently went around the AC trim. The top seemed to give but nothing on both sides. I did not try to force it. Is there a trick to its removal. For example, "pop" one side and then the other? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally was able to get back to this project! Obtained a 5 piece trim removal tool kit from Harbor Freight. Used a curved tool and started lower right. Came out some then moved to upper right and the trim came off. Unplugged the switch wire and inspected the unit. Noticed one of the tabs was broken but nothing else.
I drove around and still heard the rattle. Could not hear/see where inside it is coming from. Very difficult while driving.
Any suggestions!
Thanks, Ski

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium, 2009 DTS Base (sold), 1997 Eldorado Coupe
69 Posts
Is it just on small bumps in the road? If so, I had the same exact issue with my 2009 DTS but on both sides. I asked a certified cadillac mechanic online about this and his response was these cars have issues with the calipers rattling on
smaller bumps. If that is the issue, it can be resolved by removing the tires and applying some brake quieting lubricant on the calipers. If that doesn't fix it, it is most probably a strut bushing that has come loose or fell off due to dry rot. Either
way, it is not coming from the dash. Congrats on your new DTS! They are hard to find with that low of miles. Fix it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
2007 DTS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have left the pictured AC trim off the dash. I'm driving around with the space open. The strange thing is when I drive after the car has been in the sun and heated up the rattle seems to go away. It is as if whatever is rattling the heat made it expand and stop rattling. I will keep monitoring it.

Decibel - the rattle was more apparent when riding on asphalt that was not smooth, a rough type of asphalt. There is probably a name for it. On very smooth roads the rattle seemed to go away. Maybe it can be described as a certain kind of vibration causes it.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Drove 100 miles yesterday with the trim still off. Only noticed a slight rattle over severe rough road. Again it seems rattle disappears significantly when temp outside is high. Was 98F yesterday.
I will reinstall the AC trim and possibly look at driver door panel control unit. Any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium, 2009 DTS Base (sold), 1997 Eldorado Coupe
69 Posts
I should be a little more clear on the issue I was having with my 2009 DTS "rattle" so that we can determine if there may be any relationship. There were several reasons that make me believe the diagnosis was correct in my case. My garage
floor is raised approximately 1 inch above the driveway. Upon entering the garage I began to notice a "click" coming from the front of the car. Initially, it was only on the passenger side. I didn't pay much attention to it until about 6 months later
when it became more pronounced and the driver's side started doing the same thing. I didn't worry about it too much because I could not "feel" anything in the steering wheel when it made the noise. Going down the road, the "rattle" only
manifested itself on very quick changes in pavement such as bumps that were about 1 inch in height and very quick in duration. If your rattle is very noticeable, it may help to post a video with sound so we can hear what it sounds like.

I recently traded mine in on a 2011 and never had my issue corrected. I have been in and driven quite a few of these cars and never heard a rattle caused by interior parts other than the console. I would suggest mounting your phone or
tablet where the sound can be heard easily and make sure to turn off the A/C fan and record the noise.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your help! I will have the strut checked and see if I can record the rattle sound. Since it is intermittent this may take some time.

It just seems weird that it appears related to outside temperature. Does this make sense to you?

·
Registered
2007 DTS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will also review the CarFax report I received with the car. It may shed some light as to any repairs that were done to the car which might have left something loose. Keep you posted. Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
2007 DTS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getting ready to video the area where the rattle seems to be coming from. Once complete I will post to YouTube then post the URL link to this thread. Hopefully by hearing the sound the location can be identified. I had the car in for an oil change yesterday. The mechanic took it out for a drive and did not hear it. It was 95F outside so maybe the theory of temperature effect played a part in not hearing it. More to come. Thanks all!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts