Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else out there have rattles that come from the dash and head liner. The car has 7K miles on it. The console where the radio goes in rattles and the dash rattles also. I have a popped plastic rivet on the bottom underside of the car. Which sounds like someones tap dancing underneath. Also my center speaker makes noises on AM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup......mine has more rattles and squeaks than all of my previous 5 cars. Every day is a new experience in what;s going to rattle next. I've given up on trying to fix them.....It would be a full time job.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Count me in....even turning up the stereo doesn't work, since one of the speakers buzzes and/or hums. My favorite comes from the dash--it sounds like marbles rolling across a plastic tray. I've grown accustomed to the one from the rear-seat area that sounds like I left one the styrofoam restaurant togo trays sitting in the seat and its rubbing against something. Have you heard the crunching from the front suspension when you go over a speed hump??

·
Registered
1998 Deville D'Elegance
133 Posts
Everytime I log onto this site I read some new horror story about the new 05 and 06 STS and CTS.... It seems like that only safe purchase anymore is a couple of year old car (certified or not) that has already had the problems fixed! I have a 98 DeVille D'Elegance (my 1st caddy) and I'm thrilled at how it looks, sounds and feel, is it problem free, of course not, it has just over 61,000 miles on it and needs either a water pump or the cover is leaking. Besides that and some worn out stuffing in the drivers seat side and some noisy AC diverter doors, it doesn't seem to do anything funny or make unusual noises (yet). Is GM getting cheaping (in quality) or are cars just being built to a less demanding spec now?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm extremely happy with my 2006 STS.

It would take an engineering experiment to determine if GM/Cadillac is deteriorating. It has been discussed many times that most people post with problems/questions/issues and not the satisfied customers. Forums like this are great to solve problems and share common symptoms, but not good to draw conclusions relative to the whole.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
1998Deville said:
Everytime I log onto this site I read some new horror story about the new 05 and 06 STS and CTS.... It seems like that only safe purchase anymore is a couple of year old car (certified or not) that has already had the problems fixed! I have a 98 DeVille D'Elegance (my 1st caddy) and I'm thrilled at how it looks, sounds and feel, is it problem free, of course not, it has just over 61,000 miles on it and needs either a water pump or the cover is leaking. Besides that and some worn out stuffing in the drivers seat side and some noisy AC diverter doors, it doesn't seem to do anything funny or make unusual noises (yet). Is GM getting cheaping (in quality) or are cars just being built to a less demanding spec now?
Its the complexity of the electrical systems, and the computers that run them.

Enjoy your DeVille d'Elegance. I have a '98 as well with just a hair over 115,000 miles now (I'm the original owner, ordered it straight from the factory) and last summer had my first problem when the a/c compressor quit, and the dealer just informed me at my last oil change that the water pump is leaking, but its nothing serious. I've had several mechanics tell me that the '97-'99 DeVilles are excellent automobiles and mine has certainly complied, which is one reason why I still have it. Normally I don't keep a car past the warranty period (just to be safe), but there's just something about this car that I can't part with it. I shouldn't mention but there is one other small problem, on uneven or rippled pavement, my rear-seat vanity mirrors do occasionally rattle, but its nothing annoying.:duck:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts